Russia No Build

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: Russia No Build

Postby Carebear » 13 Feb 2014, 05:12

Reasonable.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby NOS482 » 14 Feb 2014, 16:42

Pagane wrote:England and Germany each only need to devote one fleet to the plan in 1901. This leaves England with a potential Belgium convoy play and Germany with two armies able to drift west towards France and the Low countries. The 4-way conspiracy doesn't require any country to devote ALL of their resources towards Russia, and in fact allows for some pretty traditional openings from each. I can't see France or Italy necessarily benefiting from this at all, and the fact that all 4 are working in tandem against Russia opens the possibility of all 4 turning on France and Italy as well.

Exactly! That was lightly hit upon in the Mega alliance bullet:

"*Lastly, the mega alliance. With A/E/G/T working together from the onset, the other nations will be facing a 4:3 alliance, with the "3" having a cripple in their midst. (And Italy wondering "WTF just happened?" :o ) "

:twisted:

Bahahaha!
That which does not destroy us, makes us stranger (and leaves scars).
NOS482

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1529)
All-game rating: (1650)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby NOS482 » 16 Feb 2014, 00:00

Carebear wrote:
NOS482 wrote:Friends, Oh yes, this is an ugly strat. But what successful stab isn't? But, admittedly, I would hate to be on the receiving end of this one.

That would be ironic if you just started a game, you ended up playing Russia, and the other players in the game seeing this forum post used this strategy against you.

Indeed, it would. But, I would also hope as Russia, that my fiendishly paranoid mind would take my own strats into account! :twisted: Hopefully, by Fall I would see some of the activity either politically or through movements. 8-) (The Spring bounce in RUM would be a hint... :geek: ) Further, and I think this is important, it takes a lot if trust between the Mega Alliance members for year one to get the act together. ;) I think, in all honesty, knowing of the existence of the strat by at least 2 of the members would help a lot to convince the less knowledgeable of it as a sincere and legit gambit. :ugeek: And THAT still doesn't mean those who promise to commit to go through with it, will in fact do so... :lol: IE, There is always going to be a jerk (or rather odd man out?) that will ruin a party! :evil:
NOS482

Postby NOS482 » 16 Feb 2014, 03:02

marsman57 wrote:It is strategies like this that make me happy that I play online primarily. In real life, you are the one eating all the cheetos while everyone else plays a game and you sit for the next 3 hours waiting for your ride home to finish. ;)

I agree with you for your stated and other reasons. :) I used to play, old school, at a dinner table or shop and people would also get mad or hurt. :( Or sulk. :roll: (I have been playing since I was 12 in the 70's...) Computer play, allows you to be a bit more impersonal, control the pacing of the game, and yet still make friends because of the extra degree of separation that can prevent true animosity. :)

But, other advantages:
*PBEM takes for ever. :x
*I have played games where refs/umpires didn't know the rules. :geek: Or bent/interpreted them for friends. :evil: The information age and this site with it's automated resolutions make those fears almost go away completely. :geek:

However, I think I like playing on this site because I get to COMMUNICATE. :ugeek:

Cheers!
NOS482

Postby Carebear » 16 Feb 2014, 04:56

NOS482,

Since you posted this opening strategy, do you have some completed games on this site where you or others have used it? It might be useful to post a couple of games with descriptions about how the openings went and then discussions about how the different games evolved after the opening. It might be a good counter-point to include games where the opening was attempted but failed for various explained reasons. Just an idea for providing further analysis and detail to your thoughtful original post.

Carebear
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby NOS482 » 16 Feb 2014, 20:47

If I can find the time, I think I can find some older ones. But, recently I played one, 69005. DIPPERS 1 and won using this. The Austrian didn't completely follow through with RUM in Spring, but the Russian moved in such a way that it didn't matter. The end result was the same. Everybody made sure Russia got 0 Builds. Turkey and Austria dominated him in The East, until stabs... And I won. Good stuff. 8-)

The strat works.
Last edited by NOS482 on 17 Feb 2014, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
NOS482

Postby bindlestiff » 17 Feb 2014, 02:00

OK, so I've looked at the game you noted, 69005. Why in the world would Russia hold in Sev and Warsaw in Spring '01, rather than order War-Gal and Sev-Bla (or Sev-Rum)? I admit that, having inexplicably failed to do anything at all with half his forces, his options for Fall '01 and thereafter are pretty circumscribed, but if Russia is awake and placing orders that are at all reasonable I suspect the "No Build Russia" strategy will quickly founder on the rocks of mutual suspicion and opportunism.
-- bindlestiff
-- Platinum Classicist, Star Ambassador, card-carrying Oldie, and all-around prince of a guy

"La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée." (We were given speech to hide our thoughts.)
-- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord
bindlestiff
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1325
All-game rating: 1401
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Barack_O_Drama » 17 Feb 2014, 05:45

[information on an active game removed - Petunia]
Barack_O_Drama
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1528)

Postby NOS482 » 17 Feb 2014, 18:08

bindlestiff wrote:OK, so I've looked at the game you noted, 69005. Why in the world would Russia hold in Sev and Warsaw in Spring '01, rather than order War-Gal and Sev-Bla (or Sev-Rum)? I admit that, having inexplicably failed to do anything at all with half his forces, his options for Fall '01 and thereafter are pretty circumscribed, but if Russia is awake and placing orders that are at all reasonable I suspect the "No Build Russia" strategy will quickly founder on the rocks of mutual suspicion and opportunism.

Admitted, with respect, the Russian was not up to snuff. :) But, he would have had a tough time of it regardless because the Turks and Austrians were on their game and it was tight at the end. :D

But to your point, foundering on suspicious behavior and opportunism is something any strat is going to face. Agreed? :geek: I acknowledge that it is a valid POV, but, no strat can truly take it into account fully. The most one can hope for is the old adage of "HOPE for the Best, but EXPECT the Worst". ;) And that applies in this particular game; I hoped for the best, expected the worst after Austria didn't bounce/take RUM in Spring (AND got 3 Builds - REALLY?!?), but I hoped for the best (being Russia gets only 1 Build at the time) and got the absolute best with a 0 Build due to Russian passivity. :lol: Who could have known? But you know what? It was a great game and it was a lot of fun. But, then again, every game you win is kinda fun... 8-)
NOS482

Postby NOS482 » 17 Feb 2014, 18:09

[information on an active game removed - Petunia]

Can you post the Game info? I would like to take a look and see what happened and how? Thanks! ;)
NOS482

PreviousNext

Return to Diplomacy Strategy