Before posting here...

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Before posting here...

Postby rick.leeds » 13 Jan 2011, 16:32

Discussing strategy is a useful tool in learning Diplomacy and it's great to see this section of the forum in use regularly. There has grown a consensus that discussions in Strategy should not be about seeking direct help in a member's game, however. This can be seen as providing an advantage in that one player in the game can pool the knowledge, experience and advice from members of the community, whilst others battle on independently. As part of the policy of keeping games and the Forum separate as much as possible, therefore, we have decided to give this consensus a more solid basis.

What this means in practice is that players follow these two guidelines:
When discussing a situation or strategy, members DO NOT:
1. Provide a link to an active game they are in.
2. Refer to a situation in an active game they are in when posting, including posting game name and ID.

In other words, members should not refer directly to an active game they are playing.

This is part of a wider process and now against site rules (see House Rules - specifically Section C).
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Before posting here...

Postby Niakan » 13 Jan 2011, 18:36

This is a good and long-needed rule. Thanks Rick.
Face-to-face organizer of Diplomacy games in New York City.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (1017)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Minneapolitan » 14 Jan 2011, 04:51

And while you're at it, noobies...

:idea: Many of your questions or ideas have likely already been addressed here in the Strategy Section.

:arrow: Please take some time to browse through the back pages of this Strategy Section. You'd be surprised how many topics are already here, and how quickly you can obtain knowledge from a current thread rather than waiting for your new thread to develop (and cluttering up our lovely homemade library of strategy!).

Someone had to say it...

8-)
"Always go to your friend's funerals. Otherwise they may not come to yours."

- Yogi Berra (1925 - 2015)
Minneapolitan

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1392)
All-game rating: (1374)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Pedros » 11 Dec 2012, 15:56

Using the Search box will speed up finding the answers!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Strategy