Turkey and Austria

What are your winning tactics? Kill them all? Discuss strategy for the classic and variant games using the classic map, or visit the sub-forums for the variant maps.
Forum rules
Strategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. When discussing strategy, reference should not be made to any active game. This section of the Forum is for general strategy discussion, not specific situations within games.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: Turkey and Austria

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 20 Jul 2018, 02:00

A/T and I/T aren’t two way draw alliances, but they can still be strong alliances. They’re 3 way or solo alliances, high risk/high reward in other words. That doesn’t make them bad or weak alliances, it just means they’re going to be more suited to players that are OK with high risk/high reward alliances rather than safer options with higher floors but often lower ceilings.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby AKFD » 20 Jul 2018, 16:15

nanooktheeskimo wrote:A/T and I/T aren’t two way draw alliances, but they can still be strong alliances. They’re 3 way or solo alliances, high risk/high reward in other words. That doesn’t make them bad or weak alliances, it just means they’re going to be more suited to players that are OK with high risk/high reward alliances rather than safer options with higher floors but often lower ceilings.

I LOVE a simple game of High-Risk, High-Reward!
Silver Classicist!

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.
AKFD

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 830
All-game rating: 764
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby mhsmith0 » 20 Jul 2018, 17:45

"The lady is in the door on the left, the tiger in the door on the right"

Good luck!
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby AKFD » 20 Jul 2018, 17:52

mhsmith0 wrote:"The lady is in the door on the left, the tiger in the door on the right"

Good luck!

I CHOOSE THE DOOR ON THE RIGHT!
Silver Classicist!

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.
AKFD

Standard rating: 830
All-game rating: 764
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Phlegmatic » 08 Aug 2019, 09:51

AKFD wrote:Oh cheese,

True. I have never seen a G/R alliance.

It's actually more impossible imo

Check out 158599.

A very successful G/R, imo...
Phlegmatic
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1215
All-game rating: 1262
Timezone: GMT

Postby mhsmith0 » 22 Aug 2019, 01:41

G/R can work together very effectively against England, and then Germany circles around to kill France while Russia pushes southward. It's definitely awkward long-term, but neither really *NEEDS* the other to be dead in order to prosper. Toss in Italy 3rd wheel and they can carve the board up pretty easily, all the more so if they're not obvious about it for a little while.
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)

Postby Zosimus » 20 Sep 2019, 18:34

The GR alliance works just fine, and it can be carried to a simple two-way draw down established stalemate lines that leave no possibility for stabs from either side.

Any alliance can work. AT is problematic, of course, but Austria ends up with the same situation that it has with almost any other alliance. It has to send troops away and sit with its back to its ally, a situation that often leads to stabs.

I think ER is the most difficult alliance to pull off. England almost always ends up with Norway, a supply center that is quite literally one step from a Russian home center. That never makes for comfort.
Be more aggressive.
Zosimus

Standard rating: 1696
All-game rating: 1730
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby LordDwia » 12 Oct 2019, 04:52

The A/T alliance is one of the strongest and most resilient alliances for a shared finish. The conventional wisdom about it being unviable is outdated, and goes back to Richard Sharp's assessment.

I have written extensively on this alliance, but the essence of it is that Austria plays a southern hedgehog (arranging the Gal and Tri bounces if possible) and Turkey arranges a bounce in the black sea and then plays the Turkish hedgehog.

A Ven -> Tri
A Vie -> Gal
A Bud -> Ser

F Ank -> Arm
A Con -> Bul
A Smy -> Con

In fall, Turkey self-standoffs in Ankara. Austria builds army Budapest, and Turkey builds fleet Ankara.

In 1902, Austria makes a deal with Russia, and then betrays him and supports Bul -> Rum. Turkey takes the black sea. Sev falls in the fall. Russia is on the ropes, and the game is on.

At a strategic moment, Austria and Turkey swap Rumania and Greece, and then demil the border. Turkey builds all fleets, and Austria builds all armies.

The whole thing is incredibly smooth. Turkey has the best stab chances middle-late, and Austria has the best stab chances late-late. Two way finishes are common and easy to manufacture without meta -- though the more common result is a three-way finish with a strong England maintaining a stalemate line.
TheCraw wrote:
I’m amazed LordDwia can sit down with balls that big.

LordDwia

All-game rating: (1000)

Previous

Return to Diplomacy Strategy