Direct email link for replying to messages added

This is where we inform about development updates.

Direct email link for replying to messages added

Postby super_dipsy » 15 Jan 2011, 11:00

We have had a number of requests to make it easier to respond to communications without the need to call up the full Diplomacy map. Players may know that you can set an option in your profile to be informed of new game messages received via email, but previously in order to view or respond to those messages you had to go into Playdiplomacy.com and go through the map interface to get there. This can be irritating if you are using an iphone, if you just need to give a quick response or indeed if you are trying to respond at work without management noticing the diplomacy map on your workstation ;)

A new feature has been added, so that now if you have this option on, when you receive the email telling you that someone has sent you a communication there is a direct link straight through to the Messages interface, bypassing the normal game interface. Hopefully this will make life easier and also perhaps allow smoother communications in games :)
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Direct email link for replying to messages added

Postby Peanut » 15 Jan 2011, 11:51

Brilliant - thanks!
Youth & Talent are no match for Age & Treachery
Let your relationships with the other players drive your strategy, not the other way around.
Ambassador & Platinum Member of the Classicists
Peanut

Location: Tiptree (where jam comes from), Essex. England (orig Lutterworth, Leics - where Jet Engine invented)
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1381)

Postby wederbrand » 15 Jan 2011, 15:43

Why not make it possible to reply to the email directly? The reply should go to all who got the original message.

Why not make it possible to send emails to [email protected]? It's not that hard to do and would be a super feature.
wederbrand

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby rick.leeds » 15 Jan 2011, 16:58

Replying to the email would reply to the system that issued the email, not the message (which was sent by the internal message system of the game) and that wouldn't allow you to post a reply in-game. As for the technical side of it, linking private emails and in-game messages(?) I'm not sure. However, we encourage players to carry out communications within the game rather than in person, by email, etc. Obviously this can't be enforced if players in a game know each other, but it does make the Mods' job that much easier if they're looking at a game for some reason.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)

Postby Judison » 15 Jan 2011, 18:47

I love it. I can even post a message reply from my iPhone in the middle of a meeting! Cool, cool, cool!
S.H.A.D.O.
Judison

All-game rating: (1430)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby wederbrand » 16 Jan 2011, 11:46

rick.leeds wrote:Replying to the email would reply to the system that issued the email, not the message (which was sent by the internal message system of the game) and that wouldn't allow you to post a reply in-game. As for the technical side of it, linking private emails and in-game messages(?) I'm not sure. However, we encourage players to carry out communications within the game rather than in person, by email, etc. Obviously this can't be enforced if players in a game know each other, but it does make the Mods' job that much easier if they're looking at a game for some reason.

This is what I'm thinking. Whenever I send an in-game message I'll get an email, something like this (where I'm playing England on game id 12345)

Code: Select all
From: Germany <[email protected]>    <- generated from the message system
To: England <[email protected]> <- my normal email adress
Subject: kill em all!

When I reply to that my normal email system would compose something like this

Code: Select all
To: Germany <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: kill em all!

The mailserver at playdiplomacy.com then gets this email, and creates an in-game message to germany in game 12345. Done. The message is readable by whomever reads press (as it is just press).

Of course some signature cleaning might be in place but that's minor things, put the system to use in public non-anonymous games first to see that it works.
wederbrand

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Jan 2011, 17:15

wederbrand wrote:This is what I'm thinking.

A perfectly reasonable suggestion, and one you might want to put in the Suggestions forum. I have to say that it is a much bigger task though, so unless there is a groundswell of support for it then it is unlikely to get done any time soon. Anyway, I will leave those debates to the Suggestions forum :)
super_dipsy
Premium Member

All-game rating: (931)

Postby rick.leeds » 16 Jan 2011, 17:31

Wow. OK. My tech knowledge shows again - it really does fit on the back of a tiny stamp :( ;)
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)

Return to Developments