Easy Communication between GMs and Players

Helpful topics on Variant Design, Map Making, and creating House Rules

Moderator: Morg

Easy Communication between GMs and Players

Postby rick.leeds » 30 Mar 2015, 08:55

It was brought up as a suggestion - or a question for a suggestion - about making group communication for GMs.

There are three ways to do this, other than simply typing in your player roster every time:
1. Keep your game roster up-to-date (and with correct spellings) in your game sub-forum; copy and paste into the PM recipient box. You need to make sure each name is on a new line.

2. Copy and paste the roster into a PM directly (again, one name to a line), then save the PM as a draft. When you want to PM all members, you can open the draft, copy the list, and paste it into the recipient box in a new PM.

Both of these are perhaps a little clunky. So here's an option which could be set-up for you:

3. Contact an Admin or Mod and ask for a Forum Group to be created when your game is ready to start. The group will be hidden and closed; which means that Forum members in general won't be able to see the group in the list of groups for Private Messages.
You will need to provide:
- the name of the group (maybe the game name and - possibly - number, eg Heptarchy 8);
- who is GMing the game (that would be you), and
- (optionally) a list of players (with correct spellings).
We will create a group as soon as possible, making the GM the group leader and - if you provide the list of players - will place each player into the group.
Making you the group leader will allow you to manage the group. You can add and remove members, which means you can keep the players list up to date. You will be able to send PMs to all members of the group in one go. You wouldn't be able to use this to PM members individually, or fewer members than the whole group though.

The only other thing we'd need is to know when the game has ended so we can close the group down and, if it happened that the GM was replaced for any reason, the info to update the group.

Hope that helps.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Easy Communication between GMs and Players

Postby Pedros » 30 Mar 2015, 11:22

Good idea Rick. I've always simply opened my last Sent message to the group and Replaied All - but this would certainly be easier.

Howeve, one warning. Unless something has been changed very recently Mods can't create Groups, so it would need to be done by an Admin. And, with all due respect, a lot of the time that means dipsy, who already has enough to do! At the moment it might seem a very occasional workload, but up to last summer games were starting and ending every week and sometimes 2/3 at once.

Still a good idea though
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Postby asudevil » 30 Mar 2015, 14:37

I honestly don't find the benefit that useful compared to the amount of work it will cause Dipsy (and you, but you have been known to take leaves)...Copy/Pasting or replying all is very easy as well.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby GhostEcho » 30 Mar 2015, 15:19

By far the easiest (the one which I'm pretty sure Pedros uses and which I've used in the past) is to simply keep all messages to players in one PM chain. The "reply all" feature when used from the sent messages folder does actually function as a reply all to the previous recipients. So if you send the game start message to Joe, Bob, Billy, Sue, George, and Amy, when you need to send the next one, go find that message in the "Sent messages" box and hit "reply all" and it will go out to all those same players; if you need to add a new player or drop one that's pretty easy to do and the message chain will "remember" the recipients if you're always working from the latest message you've sent.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 957
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 30 Mar 2015, 18:14

That's what I do as well. From the GM's point of view having the group would be even easier (and altering the membership when players drop out is pretty easy). But whether it's worth the Admin time you and dipsy need to decide.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby Morg » 31 Mar 2015, 20:29

Jeez guys,

I guess I'm old fashioned. I just remember who plays what, type in each player name on it's own line and make sure I've got all the countries in there. If I have any questions I just open another tab and take a look at all the countries and players on the last season's post.

I'm not against the idea of creating user groups for each game so long as it's easy to do, easy to maintain and easy to disband when the game ends.
Pedros wrote:Howeve, one warning. Unless something has been changed very recently Mods can't create Groups, so it would need to be done by an Admin. And, with all due respect, a lot of the time that means dipsy, who already has enough to do! At the moment it might seem a very occasional workload, but up to last summer games were starting and ending every week and sometimes 2/3 at once.

Pedros I remember you created the DVFG GM user group, was that something you created yourself or something we had Dipsy do?
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby asudevil » 01 Apr 2015, 01:44

Morg wrote:Pedros I remember you created the DVFG GM user group, was that something you created yourself or something we had Dipsy do?

Dipsy did it

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby Pedros » 01 Apr 2015, 03:23

Yes, either dipsy or Rick did it. I can (could!) alter the membership as necessary, but definitely an Admin job to create it.
Pedros

Postby Morg » 01 Apr 2015, 04:36

Pedros wrote:Yes, either dipsy or Rick did it. I can (could!) alter the membership as necessary, but definitely an Admin job to create it.

Ah. Well, let's leave this as kind of a last resort then. I think we should be able to manage without having to create extra work for the Admins.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby asudevil » 01 Apr 2015, 05:20

Morg wrote:
Pedros wrote:Yes, either dipsy or Rick did it. I can (could!) alter the membership as necessary, but definitely an Admin job to create it.

Ah. Well, let's leave this as kind of a last resort then. I think we should be able to manage without having to create extra work for the Admins.

But we probably want to get control of that group moved over to you...since you took over his job.

asudevil
Premium Member

Return to PbF: Beyond Playing