EpicDim House Rules

Helpful topics on Variant Design, Map Making, and creating House Rules

Moderator: Morg

EpicDim House Rules

Postby EpicDim » 25 Oct 2013, 05:47

EpicDim GM House Rules (Heavily stolen and modified)

It's up to you to make sure orders are accurate and complete. I won't parse orders so if an order is ambiguous it will be ignored. If it's clear what they mean then no problem but if they're at all ambiguous they're invalid. Each unit must have an order for it to do something so an argument like "You could see from my convoy order what the army was supposed to be doing" will not hold any weight. The one exception to invalid orders is that if you use army or fleet designations and you pick the wrong one the order will still be valid since that designation is irrelevant to the order.

Sets of orders must be complete. If you send one message with 5 units' orders and a second message with only one unit ordered, only the one unit will be ordered. If two different orders are given for the same unit in the same set, then it will be considered ambiguous and neither will be executed.

If you spot an error in my adjudication please report it publicly as soon as possible. Any error not reported before the next movement deadline will not be corrected. This includes map issues as well as adjudication issues.

If you ask a rules question then if it has an unambiguous answer I'll answer it; if it's something not clearly covered by the game rules I'll do my best, but in the light of argument from other players I might change my mind after the adjudication. If you think I'm wrong, I expect you to say so loudly and with clear reasons. If you do I'll listen and consider the arguments (and allow an extension while it's sorted out). If a question is asked privately then it will be answered privately.

Deadlines will always be at 8pm Central US Time (including daylight savings changes). I'll send a PM when the results are posted with the next deadline but I recommend you send provisional orders early just in case!

For phases longer than 1 day I'll send a reminder about 24 hours before the deadline (give or take a few hours), and a separate message to those players who have not yet submitted orders. This is because NMRs can ruin a game. The reminder message is a courtesy and its absence is in no way an excuse for you not to get your orders in.

Speed deadlines: Once I have orders from all players I will process them as soon as possible, unless they are marked to be held. ('Provisional' or 'Wait' or some similar designation is fine). I encourage provisional orders where appropriate to reduce the risk of NMRs and I don't mind how often you change them. I will only use the last set I receive. But if you do send in provisional orders please let me know once you're happy to finalize them. I may write to check if yours are the only orders waiting to be finalized, but if I do, then this is a reminder not a hassle! Don't feel pressured into finalizing before you're ready.

Requests for extensions: If I receive a request for an extension prior to 24 hours before the deadline I will put it up for a vote and must have more players voting yes than voting no to approve it. No delays will be approved for a request with less than 24 hour notice.

Please note: if you want a substitute while you're away it's your job to find one.

Grace periods: If you miss a deadline (Move, Retreat or Build) I will start harassing you and you will have 24 hours to turn in orders. During the grace period orders can still be changed but can be adjudicated as soon as all players have submitted even if they are marked to be held (provisional). Grace periods are intended to give players a little extra time for emergencies, missing the deadline even when getting orders in by the grace period still counts as a "no moves received by the deadline". They are not intended to continually make the deadlines longer.

Forced Replacement: If you fail to turn in moves in one of the following situations you will be replaced and the game will hold until a replacement is found. 1) No moves are received after the grace period for a first year movement phase, 2) No moves are received by the deadline for two phases in a row, 3) No moves are received by the deadline for two total movement phases during the game.

I will aim to process the orders at the deadline though there may be exceptions. If you get orders in late but before I begin you'll get away with it. Once I start adjudicating it's too late to change orders.

Errors in adjudication are possible. Check the adjudication and map after orders to make sure everything is right. Any error not reported by the next movement deadline will stand. If there is a difference between the adjudication and the map that is not noticed by the next movement deadline, the map will be considered the source of truth.

The GM's decision is final.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo
EpicDim

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Return to PbF: Beyond Playing