Generic game rules - what's needed?

Helpful topics on Variant Design, Map Making, and creating House Rules

Moderator: Morg

Generic game rules - what's needed?

Postby Rughat » 23 Sep 2011, 22:39

I'm planning on GMing my first game, and after taking over one other game I've realized that a lot of things should be defined at the beginning. At the same time, bogging people down with a bunch of legalese (like I saw over here) is just... mean. Instead, I've decided to try and create a basic, simple list of the game rules - things that should be identified by any GM when starting a game. I'm expecting that I'm not going to get all of them myself, so I'm hoping that everyone will join in on making suggestions. I'll update this first post with the suggestions.

Forum Game Standard Rules
The Map: - obviously not needed if a standard map
Variant Rules: - ideally a link to the listing on Variant Bank, but any changes you are making would go here
Number of Players: - if you want X number of reserves before you start the game, list that here as well
Order Format: - how you want the PMs formatted
Turn Length: -approximate # of days between orders, will reminders be sent, and how long before the deadline?
NMR Policy: - what will you do with NMRs? How many before someone is replaced? If someone NMRs on a draw proposal, what happens?
Country Selection: - like blind auction, lottery, or first come first served.

I'm sure I'm missing some important things here.

An example (one that I'm planning on posting, once I think I've got all the kinks worked out):
Layered Diplomacy Rules
Variant Rules: Found here. Basically, there are two maps, one above the other, and you can move from a province on the top map to it's matching province on the bottom map, and vice versa.
Number of Players: 7
Order Format: All order PMs should use this format for the subject: Layered S1901M France
Turn Length: Approximately 3 days for movement, retreats and builds in 2 days. Orders will be accepted up until I start processing them, which will be generally late at night CDT. Reminders will be sent when a phase begins, and at least 12 hours before orders are processed.
NMR Policy: If you need an extension, please post the request in the forum thread. I am very generous and understanding, if you ask first. If you need a replacement, one can be found - but please make the request as soon as possible. If you NMR 3 times, you will be replaced. If there is a vote of some kind - such as for a draw proposal - and you NMR (neither voting yes nor no) then you will be considered abstaining from the vote and, should the vote be for a draw, will not be considered part of the draw.
Country Selection: Blind auction. Once there are 7 players, I will set a deadline (probably one or two days) for everyone to PM me their bids.

Suggestions?
Currently: A
[REDACTED]
trying to
[OH SO TOTALLY REDACTED]
in Hidden Agenda
"we wanted to symbolically kill rughat because he was a pain in the ass." - HPWehmeier
No .sig, no .plan, no .clue
Rughat

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Generic game rules - what's needed?

Postby Pedros » 03 Oct 2011, 13:37

Many thanks for starting this Rughat. I've been intending to do something like this for quite a while. I was thinking of including not just a list of what's needed, but some notes on different approaches previous GMs have taken to provide a sort of 'Pick 'n' Mix' offering.

A couple of things I think should be in there - Draws - will you accept any proposals that come in and do they need to include the proposer or can it be a surrender (in which case how about the offer of a solo), DIAS only, etc

Surrenders - what will you do when a player leaves the game - pause it, play with Civil Disorder, etc

Requests for a pause - what would you allow? (I've recently introduced one which says "If you ask for a delay at the last minute you probably won't get it - why didn't you mail provisionals?"

Otherwise, pretty good I'd say!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pedros » 09 Dec 2011, 16:27

I've now written an Introduction to House Rules which covers this. Experienced GMs will notice things I've left out; new ones will notice questions I haven't answered. To both of you - please let me know, or post it there!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby asudevil » 09 Dec 2011, 21:25

Are you planning on GM'ing a layered Dip game?

If so, have you seen the one I am GM'ing right now?

May give you ideas about what you may need
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Return to PbF: Beyond Playing