new potential variant/forum game - NEED ADVICE

Helpful topics on Variant Design, Map Making, and creating House Rules

Moderator: Morg

new potential variant/forum game - NEED ADVICE

Postby slayer666 » 28 Feb 2011, 21:51

I am relatively very new to forum games, but after perusing the multitude of user created diplomacy variants, I decided to give it a go and see if I could come up with a unique and playable map for a possible variant. I was intrigued by a few of the more modern maps that I have come across, and wanted to try and develop a map that could be played with rules other than the standard rules of diplomacy. More to come on that - first here's the map:

(right click and select 'view image' to view the full map)

As you might have noticed, this variant is based off of modern day New York City. Similar to standard diplomacy, this variant consists of seven players: Brooklyn (dark blue), Queens (orange), The Bronx (purple), Harlem (green), Manhattan (red), North Jersey (yellow) and South Jersey (light blue). All countries start with three supply centers and three Soldier units. Soldiers move and attack in the same manner as armies in standard diplomacy with one slight difference. The red and black lines that traverse bodies of water are, you guessed it, bridges. Soldier units can move between any two adjacent territories, including those that are connected by bridges. Crossing a bridge into another territory takes just a single turn, as if the territories were connected by a land border.

Here is where things change a bit: after the game begins, available builds may be used for either the aforementioned Soldier units or Helicopter units. Heli's have a particular set of rules that (hopefully) aren't too confusing:
1) Heli units can traverse any land or water space (water territories are separated by the dotted blue lines).
2) Heli units can support a Soldier unit into any territory that the Heli is adjacent to and that the Soldier could normally move to, and can also support other Heli units to move or hold.
3) Heli units can occupy enemy supply centers, but can NOT acquire them.
4) Heli units can occupy the same territory as Soldier units that are owned by the same country, and can support that unit to any adjacent territory.
5) If a Soldier unit is supported into a territory occupied by an enemy helicopter, that Heli is destroyed without the option to retreat. Two or more Helicopter units are also able to dislodge other Soldier or Heli units.
6) Heli units have the unique ability to pick up and drop off Soldier units, with the following stipulations:
**A) The act of picking-up or dropping-off a Soldier unit takes one full turn.
**B) A transporting Heli can move into any unoccupied land or water territory while carrying the transported Soldier unit.
**C) A Soldier unit can be dropped off in any territory that is occupied solely by the transport Heli. If a Heli attempts to drop-off a Soldier unit while an enemy unit orders a move into that same territory, a bounce occurs where the transported Soldier remains in the Helicopter.
**D) The dislodgement and subsequent destruction of a Heli with a Soldier unit on board destroys both the Heli and the Soldier.

As far as the map construction is concerned, I tried to do my best to create a balanced and engaging setting in which to enjoy a competitive game of diplomacy. Each country on the board has one guaranteed supply center in the first year, some have two, and almost every country will find the need to immediately engage in diplomacy with one or more neighbors to determine the outcome of neutral supply centers that they have an equal chance of gaining in the first year or two. North and South Jersey will fight over the West New York and Ridgefield Park supply centers, Brooklyn and Queens will clash in Williamsburg and JFK Airport, etc. However, I still tried to make incentives for countries to expand outside of their small corner of the map. Rather than attack each other, for example, Brooklyn and Queens might be tempted to make a move to Governor's Island and Riker's Island respectively, moving toward Manhattan and The Bronx.

My main concern was in respect to potential stalemate lines, seeing as the bridges between different sections of the map can be somewhat restrictive. But with Heli units and their ability to transport Soldiers across the map, that concern should be abated for the most part. I'm very eager to hear from any of you that may have some suggestions or comments in regards to how I might improve this map. It was a lot of fun putting it together and I really have no idea how a game would turn out. I guess there's only one way to find out... and as soon as I'm fully confident in the map I would love to GM my first game.

So please, PLEASE, any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Gold member of The Classicists
Winner of Imperial IV, 1870, Colonial
and War In The Americas 2.
slayer666
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1061
All-game rating: 1618
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: new potential variant/forum game - NEED ADVICE

Postby nedtugent » 28 Feb 2011, 23:26

Sounds very creative, but I can't see the map.
"Anybody that wants to disarm me can drop dead!"

Silver Member of the Classicists
nedtugent

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby slayer666 » 01 Mar 2011, 00:06

Hmm, that's no good. It showed up for me, but maybe it's an issue with the image hosting site. Here's a link to the map - let me know if anyone else is having this problem. I just used the standard image tags.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8408/mapft.jpg
Gold member of The Classicists
Winner of Imperial IV, 1870, Colonial
and War In The Americas 2.
slayer666
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1061
All-game rating: 1618
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Klik/Klak » 01 Mar 2011, 00:34

I like it and would be willing to join a game
pie tastes delicious
am i the most random
ooh shiny
person you've ever
omfg it's fake
met?
Klik/Klak

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby presser84 » 01 Mar 2011, 01:29

I think this is very creative and I would be interested in playing.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)

Postby Ceebs » 02 Mar 2011, 07:04

Crucial question regarding heli units: What units can support them to hold or attack--soldiers, other heli's or both?

Kudos on creating your own variant. Aesthetically it looks well polished, and from a gameplay perspective it appears well-balanced--at least from a quick glance. The only way to know for sure though is to playtest. I'm sure you can find a full complement of interested players on the site here! (unfortunately, not me...as i am already finding myself over-committed and i'm not increasing my participation in forum games at the moment)

Good luck!
Ceebs

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1204)

Postby stalin813 » 09 Jul 2011, 10:51

This looks great, and if you are setting up a run, I would love a chance to play.

questions :
Central park is impassible?

Rutherford and West New York are connected?

Maybe add 1 or 2 more supply centers in the center to help out Red and Green as they have people on three sides instead of two.
Best to get me at night (8pm to 12pm EDT)
stalin813

Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1279)

Postby Bluewolf » 31 Jan 2012, 02:14

i would play if this is still happening. if not, welcome to my GM list.
Bluewolf

Standard rating: (897)
All-game rating: (896)

Return to PbF: Beyond Playing