Reliable players and reliable GMs

Helpful topics on Variant Design, Map Making, and creating House Rules

Moderator: Morg

Re: Reliable players and reliable GMs

Postby detroit_red » 21 Dec 2010, 00:26

Pedros wrote:Problem with that detroit is that being a Mod doesn't necessarily make you a good Forum player/GM[...]

Right, which is why you'd have the ability to click through to the player's profile and see that in addition to being a member of the group "Moderators", they are also a member of the group "Forum Game GMs" as well (if they qualify). "Moderator" would only override for the purpose of display beneath the username; you would still be able to see all group memberships in the user profile. But I still think this would be an ugly workaround to the ease of a modification allowing multiple ranks, like the ones Ceebs has hunted down.
detroit_red

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1028)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Ceebs » 06 Jan 2011, 19:57

Since it seemed like this idea was on the verge of fizzling out otherwise, i have taken the liberty of sending a PM to Avalanche regarding the badge idea and possible phpbb mods that will allow it. Hopefully he will grace us with his input on the feasibility of this idea.

My PM to Avalance wrote:I just wanted to bring to your attention a discussion that has been going on among regulars in the forum games section. This thread has been discussing potential solutions to the issue of promoting reliable play among forum game players and GMs.

One popular idea that has been discussed at length is the adoption of 'badges' that appear under a users' name to the right of their posts, similar to what is currently in use for things like 'admin', 'moderator', 'vip' etc. The purpose of this system would be to identify reliable users in the forum game community and give all players a small incentive to honor their commitment to participate in a forum game.

The problem with this is that only one such badge is currently allowed per user, meaning someone who is already a mod or support or something cannot get another badge for 'forum game GM' for example.

Looking around the open-source phpbb forums, i located some potential mods that will allow for multiple 'ranks' (see post here), and this is where you come in. Obviously only you can decide on whether such a mod is workable and worth installing for this forum, so those of us in the discussion would greatly appreciate your input on the matter, and if it is worth pursuing any further.

Undoubtedly, there are other groups on the forum that may see a benefit from the same mod such as mafia players, nomic players etc. I hope you will consider installing this feature (if it would work) and make an already great community even better!
Ceebs

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1204)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 14 Jan 2011, 20:52

Well done Ceebs. This is potentially a big development, especially if things like the proposal for a Forum Games competition come off
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pedros » 08 Feb 2011, 14:09

This one seems to have disappeared into the ether, which would be a huge pity. I'm going to add my two pen'worth to Ava and Frenzal - see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18151 - but in the meantime let's keep the pot boiling.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby Ceebs » 09 Feb 2011, 05:25

Good initiative Pedros.
I too am hopeless at any sort of php/programming stuff and one scan through the forums of phpBB was enough for me as well!

Fingers crossed for an intrepid volunteer to act as a new forum admin, and for management approval of such a position!
Ceebs

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1204)

Postby Pedros » 14 Mar 2011, 11:03

I'm determined that this one shouldn't disappear.

If we can't persuade Admin to give us 'official' badges under the Avatar, I have two suggestions:-

1. we authorise individuals to include a badge of some description in their signature. We looked at this earlier, and didn't like it because it would be difficult to enforce when somebody lost their badge (or even simply put one there without authorisation!) - and even more difficult when a player leaves the site altogether;
  2. a sticky post which includes the current list (although, obviously, this one isn't as visible as the first)

Perhaps in fact both together might be worth considering.
Pedros

Postby paulus » 21 Sep 2011, 21:19

Hi everyone. We're coming up to the 1 year anniversary when this thread began, and I'm not sure there has been much accomplished on the issue of reliable players and GMs. Ironically, following this thread, we appear to have lost some "reliable" players/GMs. Pity.
Pedros thanks for raising this issue again in small group and trying to keep it alive no the Forum. I have read through all the postings again. Lots of great ideas, so I won't bother repeating them here. The last postings led to the idea of developing a way to help identify reliable players/GMs. The BADGE under the user name/Avatar is not possible. The most recent suggestions were for a self-description in the signature and/or a sticky post (see Pedros' last entry). Has there been any movement on either of those suggestions? I did think of two things:
1. In terms of where to put the indicator that a player or GM is reliable, I wondered if it could be put in the section below the Avatar/badges, e.g.:

Pedros

Location: Narrowboat "Barrow Lass", on a canal somewhere in England
Private message

I've noticed that this area (sorry I don't know what it's called) appears to be somewhat modifiable, e.g. Pedros does not have a Karma section, which most other players have; I've seen others with Yahoo links listed. So perhaps there could be an indicator placed here?
2. What would the indicator look like? I definitely won't repeat what's already been written, but i will put up something that i don't think has been discussed. What about some sort Forum Games Ranking. Points could be alloted for game completion, acting as a replacement, submitting an AAR, player nominated MVP (ok the last two are maybe a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea). Notice, this isn't a skills ranking, i.e. it wouldn't matter if you soloed or were part of a draw. Frankly that doesn't interest me. What I would prefer to see ranked, is the commitment to playing the game, through to the end, and perhaps even beyond with an AAR.
I know this may open up a whole kettle of worms, and it certainly is not without it's problems (e.g. extra work for GMs to submit these points, problems with maintenance, do we deduct points for people who drop out, rating GMs etc...) So this may be too ambitious or on the wrong track altogether. Maybe a simpler GM approved stamp or indicator or medal indicating this player completed a Forum Game. Whatever it is, let's do something to help improve the quality of these games, which is so dependent on the quality of players/GMs, but most importantly on everyone's commitment. I support any process that will help identify committed players who have a proven record of finishing what they start (even if it's a stab against me;).
Anyway, again, I appreciate there will be flaws or areas for improvement in my suggestions, but let's continue the ball rolling and reach some kind of satisfactory process.
Thanks.
paulus

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Pedros » 22 Sep 2011, 11:36

Thanks for brining this one back to life Paulus. And some useful additional suggestions.

The suggestion of a label under the avatar is sensible, but I've no idea how that works - I believe that everything in there at the moment is controlled by the system. Somebody who understands the way the phpBB software works would have to guide us on that, and dipsy's the only such person around that I know of (love to hear from anybody else!!) But if we can devise a generally acceptable system, then we can begin to use it even if it means putting the indicator into signatures to begin with.

And the kind of things you listed as criteria are exactly what we were talking about in the previous discussion. Nobody mentioned the AAR, but I think one of the sad things about most Forum Games is that they don't get much in the way of an AAR - so we lose not only an insight into the diplomatic activity, but also important feedback on how players felt about the game, the rules, the map. Perhaps it should be something like a star rating - "Reliable FG Player **" or similar. I'm less sure about "Most Valuable Player", since that strays into the area of skill rather than reliability.

It's the criteria which will be really tough to decide. We all NMR occasionally, for really good reasons. How often would you have to do it to lose your status? And what about surrenders? Personally, I'd say that anybody who simply walks out of a game without warning and without doing anything about a replacement isn't reliable. Full stop. The same for the GM.
Pedros

Postby asudevil » 05 Mar 2012, 21:39

Posting here, just in case it comes back to life it stays on my recent topics.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby ColinO » 05 Oct 2012, 07:48

How about this:

Each player could have a "reliability rank?"

The rank could be calculated as follows:
+1 for each completed game (win or lose)
-5 for each surrender (forced or otherwise)
The method of scoring is not critical. The important feature is that a player carries their history with them.

Players who start games can set a reliability rank requirement:
5 or less = apprentice level
6-15 = journeyman level
16 or more = master level

In this way, the dependable players can play with other dependable players.

What do you think?
These are military exercises. The soldiers are trying to keep fit. Trust me, they will be moving out early next spring.
ColinO

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

PreviousNext

Return to PbF: Beyond Playing