Emergency orders: Good or bad?

Helpful topics on Variant Design, Map Making, and creating House Rules

Moderator: Morg

Emergency orders: Good or bad?

Postby Pedros » 01 Jul 2010, 18:47

Including the ones I'm playing now, I've played in six Forum Games and GMd one. One of those I was an Emergency General, called upon in the first year and promptly took over that country full time (draw won). None of the others have used EGs. My first go as GM I decided to use EGs (for movement phases only), largely because NMRs on main site ruin games so badly. But a few years in, I'm not at all sure they're a good thing.

EGs are obviously not there for the benefit of the person NMRing - they deserve to lose one unit on the spot, not get some possible help to advance! If they're of any use, it's for the other players, to keep the game moving along in a proper fashion. But does it? Unless the EG is going to start negotiating with the other players there's as much chance of them moving in the opposite way from what was intended/expected/agreed as there is of them moving a plan along. That might help their opponents, but an NMR might do that almost as well. It's a pain for the EGs (and my thanks to TheChosen1 and mat.gopack for the work they've put in already in the tournament!), a pain for the GM, and not much use (usually) to the other players.

As I said, I don't use them for retreats and builds. If a player can't be bothered to submit those then I'm absolutely clear - they deserve to lose the units. For movements, my current feeling is to ditch them - but there's so much opinion in favour of them, from those with much more experience, that I'm reluctant.

So, especially from those with much more experience, I'd like to hear how you see it. And if any of those playing in the tournament would like to add their views, that would be extremely interesting!
Last edited by Pedros on 03 Jul 2010, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Emeregency orders: Good or bad?

Postby AlphaTangoEcho » 01 Jul 2010, 18:55

I wouldn't exactly say overwhelming favor.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5894
(former) Moderator of Mafia

And she had to apologize at once for her voice, which was a very unfair voice for a woman to use. Her voice was a warm, luminous, timeless melody.
AlphaTangoEcho

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Retsam » 01 Jul 2010, 19:19

Well, the whole question is just a whole bunch of bad choices. In an ideal world, everyone would always turn in orders on time every time. But, of course, that's not realistic, and any other alternative is a bad one.
"If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end: if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth -- only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin with and, in the end, despair." -- C.S. Lewis Mere Christianity
Retsam

Postby Flatley » 01 Jul 2010, 20:02

I think it's better to NMR than to have some crackpot general submit orders without having the foresight of your Master Plan. You never know who he* might inadvertently offend.

*Yeah, I said he. The odds are so much in favor of a guy being an emergency general that I don't feel it's necessary to qualify it with a feminine pronoun.
The enemy's gate is down.

Don't go thinkin' you so bad jes cuz you was in SOLDIER.

We've always been at war with Eastasia.
Flatley

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Pedros » 03 Jul 2010, 17:48

Flatley wrote:*Yeah, I said he. The odds are so much in favor of a guy being an emergency general that I don't feel it's necessary to qualify it with a feminine pronoun.

Is that because
    - women are no good at emergencies?
    - or they're no good as generals?
    - or you can't believe that any woman could possibly stand in for you without screwing it up?
    - or they spotted long ago that emergency generals are a stupid idea?
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby Pedros » 03 Jul 2010, 17:55

AlphaTangoEcho wrote:I wouldn't exactly say overwhelming favor.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5894

Thanks ATE. I don't remember that discussion
Pedros

Postby jenthefantastic » 03 Jul 2010, 19:57

Pedros wrote:
Flatley wrote:*Yeah, I said he. The odds are so much in favor of a guy being an emergency general that I don't feel it's necessary to qualify it with a feminine pronoun.

Is that because
    - women are no good at emergencies?
    - or they're no good as generals?
    - or you can't believe that any woman could possibly stand in for you without screwing it up?
    - or they spotted long ago that emergency generals are a stupid idea?

I think he's just saying that there are so few women playing on the site to begin with, that the statistical chances of an emergency general being a woman are so low that he feels he can politically get away with saying he instead of he/she. I've worked on an ambulance and been in the military - and trust me, gender has no bearing on a person's ability to command or react.
jenthefantastic

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (958)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Emergency orders: Good or bad?

Postby Riptide » 13 Mar 2012, 04:30

The concept of EGs hasn't been discussed in a while, and with a new batch of GMs and players I would like to see what the consensus on them is.

I am not all that opinionated on the concept, but I know that others feel very strongly about it, so I wanted to know what causes them to be so.
The former nickjb3
Riptide

Postby Pedros » 13 Mar 2012, 04:55

Actually Riptide, I think the reason it hasn't been discussed is that it's a dead issue these days - the generation that used them has largely become inactive and I don't think anybody's pushing for them; though I seem to remember one game a few months ago that included them.
Pedros

Postby asudevil » 13 Mar 2012, 05:09

I think they are good for the larger games. BigBert was using them in WW4, when he had sinnybee...but now Sinny is gone, so he doesnt. I know Im EG'ing for Haven, and Im going to have a GM for Imperial.

I think for big games, EG's are a good idea, but for standard (9 and less) they are less useful
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Next

Return to PbF: Beyond Playing