Youngstown II - S01 Orders

GMs: jazzguy1987, Jobson15. Game ended with no resolution.

Youngstown II - S01 Orders

Postby Jobson15 » 15 Apr 2010, 12:25

Spring 1901 Orders are due Sunday 18th at 11:59 BST (GMT+1)

YoungstownStart-S1901M.jpg
YoungstownStart-S1901M.jpg (150.45 KiB) Viewed 1651 times

Tralfagar - ITALY
paulus - CHINA
TsarAndreas3000 - JAPAN
Thor - ENGLAND
jeanphi - INDIA
teldalati - AUSTRIA
The Yank - FRANCE
Ceebs - RUSSIA
marlowe - GERMANY
mat.gopack - TURKEY
Last edited by Jobson15 on 16 Apr 2010, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
So far the only Playdip player to survive an attack by armies, fleets and an ax.
Jobson15

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Youngstown II - S01 Orders

Postby Ceebs » 15 Apr 2010, 21:11

I have some clarifications and requests:

1) Is Korea one coast or two?
1a) For that matter, could we add small "ec, sc, nc, wc" designations to any provinces on the map that do have separate coasts?

2) are there any land-bridges around japan, Philippines, indonesia etc.?

3) i realize the off-board connections were listed in the original sign-up posting, but is there a way we could add these to the map itself for easy reference? I was thinking that each "ob-" square could have small letters at the bottom showing which other off-board squares they connect to

I really have no idea if these suggestions/map edits are feasible, and indeed i can live with it if they are not. Just thought it would be worth asking. :)

Good Luck to everyone! As always, the Russian embassy eagerly awaits your correspondence!

Lastly, Big-ups to Jobson for GM-ing, much appreciated.

-Tsar Ceebs of the Russian Empire
Ceebs

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1204)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby TheYank » 15 Apr 2010, 21:25

I assume Jobson can tell us for sure, but I was under the impression that Korea would be similar to Greece, in that it's only one coast boarding several oceans.
Winner of Greed!
Come watch Renaissance Diplomacy! See our sub-forum for more info.
Silver member of The Classicists.
TheYank

Postby Jobson15 » 15 Apr 2010, 22:47

1a) For that matter, could we add small "ec, sc, nc, wc" designations to any provinces on the map that do have separate coasts?

3) i realize the off-board connections were listed in the original sign-up posting, but is there a way we could add these to the map itself for easy reference? I was thinking that each "ob-" square could have small letters at the bottom showing which other off-board squares they connect to.

Answers

1) Korea has one coast. The provinces with coasts are Spain, St Petersburg, and Bulgaria (as in standard Dip), and Thailand, which has and east and a west coast.

2) There are no land bridges. Cel and Phi are considered land provinces, so they can be occupied by armies or fleets. They don't have coasts, so a fleet can move Tim-Cel then Cel-Sch for example. Armies can move from Jav/Bor to Cel (and vice versa) and from Phi to Cel. I hope this clarifies everything.

3) This map is part of a program, so I can't edit it. What I'll do is make a Rules and FAQ thread which will have a list of Off-Board connections, as well as other things. But if someone does send in an order that isn't possible, I'll notify them so that they can change it.
So far the only Playdip player to survive an attack by armies, fleets and an ax.
Jobson15

Postby Tralfagar » 15 Apr 2010, 23:26

What's the logic behind the off-board provinces? It's escaping me at the moment
Tralfagar

Standard rating: (970)
All-game rating: (1183)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Jobson15 » 16 Apr 2010, 00:00

The off-board areas are there so a round globe can be represented on a flat board. It's meant to make it more realistic I suppose.
Jobson15

Postby Ceebs » 16 Apr 2010, 02:18

Jobson15 wrote:

3) i realize the off-board connections were listed in the original sign-up posting, but is there a way we could add these to the map itself for easy reference? I was thinking that each "ob-" square could have small letters at the bottom showing which other off-board squares they connect to.

Answers

1) Korea has one coast. The provinces with coasts are Spain, St Petersburg, and Bulgaria (as in standard Dip), and Thailand, which has and east and a west coast.

2) There are no land bridges. Cel and Phi are considered land provinces, so they can be occupied by armies or fleets. They don't have coasts, so a fleet can move Tim-Cel then Cel-Sch for example. Armies can move from Jav/Bor to Cel (and vice versa) and from Phi to Cel. I hope this clarifies everything.

3) This map is part of a program, so I can't edit it. What I'll do is make a Rules and FAQ thread which will have a list of Off-Board connections, as well as other things. But if someone does send in an order that isn't possible, I'll notify them so that they can change it.

Thanks for your answers, clears things up nicely. These points below are not further questions, just comments based on the same previous list.

1) Dont mean to be nitpicky, but on closer inspection of the board, i'm assuming that egypt, jordan and nej (not sure what that is supposed to be short for) also have coasts?

2) i kinda thought that if armies could move between islands like java/cel/phi then they were land bridges. Whatever, its just semantics, thanks for clarifying.
*edit: looking at the youngstown map on my dipjudge program, it shows that cel cannot in fact be occupied by an army. I'm not sure if there is a definitive source for the rules on this variant, but it may be worth consulting. On the other hand, if we're all aware of it and agree we could make them viable land bridges.*

3) Out of curiosity, what program do you use? I have a diplomacy judge called realpolitik that does have a youngstown variant map but it looks like garbage compared to this one.
Ceebs

Postby Jobson15 » 16 Apr 2010, 02:47

1) You're right, Egypt, Jordan and Nej have coasts as well, I must have an incomplete set of rules. This has been edited in the Rules thread.

2) The set of rules that I have say the Cel is a land province, but I think they are incorrect (see above). My judge won't allow armies in Cel, so we'll play it as a sea space.

3) The judge I use is called jDip, I'd highly recommend it. Free to download and it comes with about 30 variants. Just google 'jDip'.
Jobson15

Postby Ceebs » 19 Apr 2010, 19:35

Bump. Deadline has passed. Fall 1901?
Ceebs

Postby Jobson15 » 19 Apr 2010, 19:58

Still a few orders needed. PMs sent out to the offenders, I'd rather not start with some NMRs.
Jobson15

Next

Return to Game 2