Score changing side effect

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Score changing side effect

Postby LordHaHa » 05 Jun 2008, 17:25

Since the rule governing scoring changed--all must agree to draw instead of those who want it declaring it--it seems to me that it is much harder to [i]get[i] a draw--those countries on the losing end just don't respond or vote against. This, in my experience, is leading to more solo victories and major backstabs. Since the losing players don't agree to a draw, one player on the winning alliance can easily get to 18 supply centers before they are wiped out. At this point, he/she can declare victory solo. His allies, seeing this about to happen, get pretty worried as they watch him approach 18. And even if one of them has, say 14 centers, he has the potential to lose outright. That is a lot of trust involved--that the leader of the alliance won't just declare a solo victory. So there is a major incentive for this player to backstab his ally to keep him from getting 18. Anyone else notice this?
LordHaHa

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Score changing side effect

Postby Master Radishes » 06 Jun 2008, 03:27

That was the intention. :) Part of the reason the new system was implemented was to encourage stabs and runs for the solo, to make the game continue and even become more interesting. Before, three players would ally up, reach 18 centres together, and have no incentive to go any further. Now, they are forced to keep playing until everyone else is gone, and one of them is bounce to do a little better than the others...
Master Radishes

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1071)

Postby LordHaHa » 06 Jun 2008, 03:49

Ah so...well, it is working. Makes trust an even scarcer commodity in this game.....
LordHaHa

Postby Diplomat » 06 Jun 2008, 19:31

Indeed, not that we were all trusting of each other before. But this is a good change IMO and it gives a chance for someone in a poor position to wait out the leaders until they turn on each other. Never know about he fortunes of War!
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Avalanche » 07 Jun 2008, 23:42

Countries not responding isn't what we were after though. Not everybody checks the stats screen every time, that's why victory proposals should pop up on your screen when you log in soon.
Avalanche
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (955)
All-game rating: (1013)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Diplomat » 08 Jun 2008, 01:06

That would be nice. I've taken to posting them in the shout box and messaging all the remaining players to tell them to look in Stats. A pop up would be very convenient.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby LordHaHa » 08 Jun 2008, 15:46

Yes, I've posted them too. But I agree it would be beneficial to have the Draw Proposals pop up when you log into a game.
LordHaHa

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions