Double Bounce

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Re: Double Bounce

Postby Spitfire » 26 May 2008, 12:27

Kholdstaer wrote:
mdmuff wrote:What you could do is in the Spring, allow Sweden into Norway while you move Denmark to Sweden. Then in the Fall you take North Sea to Norway supported by Sweden (formerly Denmark) and you gain both instead of bouncing all around...

Sometimes you have to anticipate and try to out guess the other player.

And that is a good idea, except for the fact that I wasn't in Norway. the enemy was in norway, and that was what threw me off. again. I know it wasn't the best strategic move, but push came to shove, and it needed to be done. I guess beurocracy trumped logic again...

I dont think you've understood mdmuff there... He's saying the enemy is in norway too. Reread his post.

Its not defending two spots in one time really. Its attempting an attack, withdrawing before its made, and then staying put where it is.

Bottom line, nobody will change the rules as this game is older then kingdom come. It rocks hard ass and it kicks some too. The rules have been refined for an extremely good and simple strategic and political experience.
Diplomacy is to break someone's leg and then to say; "Lean on me."
Spitfire

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby A. Smith » 26 May 2008, 23:50

Stop whining. These are the rules of the game. It also doesn't make sense that you can only put a single army in a territory, that armies ARE restricted by country borders, and that they are all equal. It's a game.

Also, doN,t forget that you can bounce yourself, so you can defend 3 territories with 2 units without a doubt.
A. Smith

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Kholdstaer » 02 Jun 2008, 04:12

okay. a new situation arrived, and im curious to see your thoughts.
I had a supported attack on naples or something like that. The unit in Naples attacked the supporting unit. We bounced, and the support failed.
Can someone explain to me how this is logical? the only way i can think of it is a 2v1 attack failed. Is there something im not thinking about?
In war, truth is the first casualty. ~Aeschylus

Kholdstaer

All-game rating: 1053

Postby zman » 02 Jun 2008, 04:40

According to the rules that attack should still have succeded. In fact, I think that it would still work out in playdiplomacy, you must have input the orders wrong. I'm pretty sure I had that happen to me and I took it still (I searched 2 out of 6 games but couldn't find it and didn't feel like searching anymore).
zman

Postby Kholdstaer » 02 Jun 2008, 05:19

According to the site. it didn't work because the support was cut, Naples bounced off the supporter, and the attacker bounced off Naples. Im sure i had the orders right, and im pretty sure it would have worked if i had the supporter attack and vice versa. I dont get it.
Kholdstaer

Postby Master Radishes » 02 Jun 2008, 10:48

You sure no one else interfered with it? Another player's order maybe affecting the situation? If not, then it's a bug.
Master Radishes

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1071)

Postby behnam » 02 Jun 2008, 16:47

Kholdstaer wrote:According to the site. it didn't work because the support was cut, Naples bounced off the supporter, and the attacker bounced off Naples. Im sure i had the orders right, and im pretty sure it would have worked if i had the supporter attack and vice versa. I dont get it.

Post the game name, year, and country you were playing.
nil desperandum ; sempre vincenti

behnam

Standard rating: (975)
All-game rating: (978)

Postby Kholdstaer » 03 Jun 2008, 23:15

I'll try to find it again, but the same situation happened again twice, and they worked both times. So i guess it was a bug.
In war, truth is the first casualty. ~Aeschylus

Kholdstaer

Previous

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions