Double Bounce

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Double Bounce

Postby Kholdstaer » 26 May 2008, 03:22

Something just happened to me that I got really annoyed about:

I tried to move a fleet from the North Sea into Norway. A fleet in Sweden also tried to move a fleet into Norway. We bounced.
This i don't mind so much, but this i thought needed to be changed:

I also tried to move an army from Denmark into Sweden. The fleet that tried to move into Norway and bounced bounced my army as well as my fleet.

Is there a way to change this? Cuz somehow this doesn't seem fair that one unit can bounce two others in the same turn. Any comments?
In war, truth is the first casualty. ~Aeschylus

Kholdstaer

All-game rating: 1053
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Double Bounce

Postby Master Radishes » 26 May 2008, 03:26

Why? Those are the rules, always have been. The army in Denmark isn't supported, so it's a 1 vs 1 situation as long as the fleet in Sweden doesn't move out of Sweden. And it doesn't - it tried to, and got bounced back.
Master Radishes

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1071)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Mysterious Player X » 26 May 2008, 03:28

Those are the rules.
All movement is simultaneous, so technically, the fleet in Sweden never really left, which is why your army coming from Denmark bounced.
Mysterious Player X

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1227)
All-game rating: (1230)

Postby Kholdstaer » 26 May 2008, 04:08

JGray38 wrote:Those are the rules.
All movement is simultaneous, so technically, the fleet in Sweden never really left, which is why your army coming from Denmark bounced.

But if the fleet is Sweden never left, then i could have taken Norway. I know its the rules, but it doesn't make sense.

Kholdstaer

Postby Mysterious Player X » 26 May 2008, 04:34

No, because your fleet never entered Norway. They bounced.
It's all simultaneous. Think of it this way. Fleet in the North Sea and the fleet in Sweden both head for Norway. They find out that the other one is on the way, and no one has support. It's an unwinnable fight. They both stop dead in their tracks, which creates a similar situation for your unsupported army coming into Sweden from Denmark- they realize that the fleet never left, they are unsupported, and so they stay put as well.

Say what you want about it not making sense, but the lesson is that you can't rely on taking anything without support. That's they way the game works. On the other hand, you can learn to play solid defense by strategically bouncing units and setting up chain reactions.
Mysterious Player X

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1227)
All-game rating: (1230)

Postby mdmuff » 26 May 2008, 04:39

What you could do is in the Spring, allow Sweden into Norway while you move Denmark to Sweden. Then in the Fall you take North Sea to Norway supported by Sweden (formerly Denmark) and you gain both instead of bouncing all around...

Sometimes you have to anticipate and try to out guess the other player.
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Ham & Eggs: A days work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
mdmuff

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Kholdstaer » 26 May 2008, 04:57

JGray38 wrote:No, because your fleet never entered Norway. They bounced.
It's all simultaneous. Think of it this way. Fleet in the North Sea and the fleet in Sweden both head for Norway. They find out that the other one is on the way, and no one has support. It's an unwinnable fight. They both stop dead in their tracks, which creates a similar situation for your unsupported army coming into Sweden from Denmark- they realize that the fleet never left, they are unsupported, and so they stay put as well.

Say what you want about it not making sense, but the lesson is that you can't rely on taking anything without support. That's they way the game works. On the other hand, you can learn to play solid defense by strategically bouncing units and setting up chain reactions.

I know exactly why it isn't the best strategic move. Thats not the problem. But push came to shove, and i didn't expect one unit to be able to defend two places at the same time.

Kholdstaer

Postby Kholdstaer » 26 May 2008, 04:59

mdmuff wrote:What you could do is in the Spring, allow Sweden into Norway while you move Denmark to Sweden. Then in the Fall you take North Sea to Norway supported by Sweden (formerly Denmark) and you gain both instead of bouncing all around...

Sometimes you have to anticipate and try to out guess the other player.

And that is a good idea, except for the fact that I wasn't in Norway. the enemy was in norway, and that was what threw me off. again. I know it wasn't the best strategic move, but push came to shove, and it needed to be done. I guess beurocracy trumped logic again...

Kholdstaer

Postby Grumpy » 26 May 2008, 09:54

Kholdstaer wrote:I know exactly why it isn't the best strategic move. Thats not the problem. But push came to shove, and i didn't expect one unit to be able to defend two places at the same time.

In itself, that is a useful strategy to adopt when under pressure.
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order."

The Doctor.
Grumpy

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Master Radishes » 26 May 2008, 10:34

Well I don't know about the rest of you, but it seems a completely logical rule to me, considering the other rules of the game. Also, it's great for strategy - I use it all the time, if I can.
Master Radishes

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1071)

Next

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions