Just curious...

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Just curious...

Postby Kunclunk » 23 May 2008, 11:54

Imagine a game, it's already 1914, only two players left. One with 33 centers and the other only 1 center.

Somehow, the one with 33 centers forgot to fill in his orders for 2 consecutive times. By the site rule, he will be automatically surrendered. What happen to the other player? Will he be the winner?
it's been too long since the last time i went solo
Kunclunk

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+8

Re: Just curious...

Postby Hyakari » 23 May 2008, 12:01

Not automatically. He'll have to reconquer 17 supply centers from a surrendered player (i.e. all his armies just 'holding'). Then he can claim his victory.
All war represents a failure of diplomacy. Tony Benn
Hyakari

Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Kunclunk » 23 May 2008, 12:08

How can he do that? He only has 1 centers, means only 1 unit.

What if the surrendered player's units stay on the centers. Or, what if the only unit he has was surrounded by the surrendered player's units and can't move anywhere. Does it mean the game will last forever?
Kunclunk

Postby Hyakari » 23 May 2008, 17:12

Either that, or the remaining active player surrenders, I guess.
Hyakari

Postby behnam » 23 May 2008, 17:43

Interesting question. I thought about it for a bit, and came to the conclusion that he should be able to declare a draw (with only himself).

Any player can declare a draw, and only active players need to respond, so if he is the only active player, then it would be easy to propose a draw and win the game.

I do want to know what happens though...Avalanche?
nil desperandum ; sempre vincenti

behnam

Standard rating: (975)
All-game rating: (978)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Hyakari » 23 May 2008, 19:40

Oh, I thought the players included in the draw had to agree explicitly. My mistake then.
Hyakari

Postby mdmuff » 23 May 2008, 21:11

Hyakari wrote:Oh, I thought the players included in the draw had to agree explicitly. My mistake then.

All remaining players do have to agree to the draw, but since there is only one player and he proposes the draw, he should in theory be able to get a draw. It is an interesting question and one only Avalanche can answer for this site.

My question is who would stick around with only one center while the other player was conquering up to 33 centers?
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Ham & Eggs: A days work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
mdmuff

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Spitfire » 23 May 2008, 22:12

Or he could just get a forum member to join as the surrendered country and claim the draw,

or if he doesnt trust a forum member, simply sign up a new account and do it yourself.
Diplomacy is to break someone's leg and then to say; "Lean on me."
Spitfire

Timezone: GMT

Postby Diplomat » 24 May 2008, 00:12

The draw is possible immediately I think, and he would win.

I think though that someone else would happen on the game and take that spot and declare victory.

As to being in the game, the only reason to be there is not to lose 1 point for a surrender.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Kunclunk » 24 May 2008, 02:58

mdmuff wrote:
All remaining players do have to agree to the draw, but since there is only one player and he proposes the draw, he should in theory be able to get a draw. It is an interesting question and one only Avalanche can answer for this site.

I think you need to include the side with the most centers in the draw, that is the rule in the draw. But, I don't know, may be in this case, we don't need.
Kunclunk

Next

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions