Player "Throwing the game"

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Re: Player "Throwing the game"

Postby andrewlawton » 18 Sep 2020, 23:24

I'm seen cases where people have said "I want out of this game" for whatever reason, and they've offered to me (it's happened with both allies and enemies) their SCs. While obviously I've accepted such overtures because they're free SCs, my belief is that ideally someone in that situation someone would surrender so another player can take it on. Otherwise it gives me a significant advantage in the game.

Now, consider this with the scenario in the OP of "throwing the game" as a tactic rather than a way out. It's functionally the same as the situation I just explained, though tactically different.

Both are within the rules, and both involve a human decision which inherently puts it into the spirit of the game. Remember that Diplomacy doesn't require fair or rational thought.
andrewlawton
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 896
All-game rating: 906
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby FloridaMan » 19 Sep 2020, 07:05

andrewlawton wrote:I'm seen cases where people have said "I want out of this game" for whatever reason, and they've offered to me (it's happened with both allies and enemies) their SCs. While obviously I've accepted such overtures because they're free SCs, my belief is that ideally someone in that situation someone would surrender so another player can take it on. Otherwise it gives me a significant advantage in the game.

I think, ideally, no one would ever surrender games. Typically, surrendered positions are not picked up, or they aren't picked up until years after the initial player surrendered, damaging the position. Preferably, the player who wants out would look for a substitute on the forums, and they'd then name a substitute. I myself am happy to substitute for players who are uninterested in completing their games on occasion. Of course, the real ideal is that people will finish games that they start unless they have a real emergency.
Check Out My Diplomacy YouTube Channel!

"I've been looking forward to this."
~ Count Dooku, Star Wars

"Our blades are sharp."
~ Words of House Bolton, A Song of Ice and Fire

Tied for 10th Position in the 2020 Liberty Cup
FloridaMan
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1693
All-game rating: 1786

Postby ToWar1901 » 05 Oct 2020, 22:22

I appreciate the debate, was just involved in a 2nd game in a row where I lost due to a Kingmaker. Just frustrating I guess.

Country A was at 13
Country B was at 8
Country C (me) was at 14

I was at a stalemate with A, had been allied with B for most of the game, saw an opportunity to potentially solo. But player B threw 5 centers to A in 1 year. After I attempted to make the stab

To expand upon the topic.... how do you beat the "Kingmaker" strategy other than either A. not stabbing anyone ever, B. making sure a stab literally kills them in 1 move, or C. just accepting its part of the game
ToWar1901

Standard rating: 1040
All-game rating: 1051
Timezone: GMT

Postby jay65536 » 05 Oct 2020, 22:42

You sort of answered your own question: you have to consider “this player could throw centers to an opponent” as a potential negative consequence of stabbing.

That does mean you should stab less than you probably are. But sometimes you catch someone in a position where they can’t throw enough centers to give someone else a solo.
jay65536

Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)

Postby FloridaMan » 07 Oct 2020, 04:51

jay65536 wrote:You sort of answered your own question: you have to consider “this player could throw centers to an opponent” as a potential negative consequence of stabbing.

That does mean you should stab less than you probably are. But sometimes you catch someone in a position where they can’t throw enough centers to give someone else a solo.

Yeah, this.

I think that people in general do tend to stab more than they should. Sometimes even high level players stab more than they should. The temptation is powerful. We must be careful, disciplined, and precise... to make sure the knife goes in just right, and at just the right time... :mrgreen:
Check Out My Diplomacy YouTube Channel!

"I've been looking forward to this."
~ Count Dooku, Star Wars

"Our blades are sharp."
~ Words of House Bolton, A Song of Ice and Fire

Tied for 10th Position in the 2020 Liberty Cup
FloridaMan
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1693
All-game rating: 1786

Postby ToWar1901 » 07 Oct 2020, 14:40

Just frustrating I guess, because every game involves some level of deception. Just seems that if you don't do it early enough it costs more than its worth
ToWar1901

Standard rating: 1040
All-game rating: 1051
Timezone: GMT

Postby Strategus » 07 Oct 2020, 15:38

ToWar1901 wrote:Just frustrating I guess, because every game involves some level of deception. Just seems that if you don't do it early enough it costs more than its worth
Risk vs reward
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1619
All-game rating: 1660