Player "Throwing the game"

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Player "Throwing the game"

Postby ToWar1901 » 17 Sep 2020, 20:03

I've seen this come up in 2 straight games, potentially the same player (unknown as the current game is an anonymous one)

Well the scenario is, you get into position to take another players centers, they can't really defend it, so they send a message saying "if you attack me I will throw the game to (insert other country name here) by letting them take my centers freely

I'm assuming this is at a minimum poor sportsmanship, just wondering if it also violates site rules in any fashion. My thought is that it is clearly not attempting to win at that point

Just looking for some $0.02 on this, thanks
ToWar1901

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1040
All-game rating: 1051
Timezone: GMT

Re: Player "Throwing the game"

Postby Strategus » 17 Sep 2020, 20:20

This is a valid tactic. I can't say too much, as it may infringe on site rules regarding discussion of live games. But it certainly is not against rules.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1619
All-game rating: 1660

Postby ToWar1901 » 17 Sep 2020, 20:23

Really, I figured intentionally losing would be frowned upon
ToWar1901

Postby Strategus » 17 Sep 2020, 20:33

Sometimes what people say is not what they do. People will try all sorts of tactics to get the outcome they desire. But also, sometimes people throw games to get revenge or make a point. Basically, most things are acceptable, except for obvious no no things like racism etc. There are site guidelines which tell you what is acceptable or not. There are a few debates in the forum previously on throwing games you should read.

I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Strategus
Premium Member

Postby ToWar1901 » 17 Sep 2020, 20:36

appreciate it, will dig in to see what I can find. I just interrupted the rule of "always attempting to win" as meaning that intentionally losing would be a no-no
ToWar1901

Postby Strategus » 17 Sep 2020, 21:13

I'm with you in spirit.

I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Strategus
Premium Member

Postby UM85 » 17 Sep 2020, 21:36

"Always attempting to win" is an interesting idea.

Let's assume you are in a position to destroy me and there is nothing I can do about it. My only hope to stay alive (and by definition, possibly win) is to get you to NOT come after me and finish me off. Perhaps the only leverage I have in this situation is that I threaten I will give all my SC's to Player C. I therefore tell you, if you continue to come after me, I will do just that.

Have I not done everything possible in an attempt to win? And if the strategy works and you look elsewhere for SC's, I may be able to recover and actually win. Stranger things have happened.

Admittedly, it is a desperate strategy but I'm dead if I can't get you to change your mind no matter what. In which case, I at least get to pick who I want to give my SC's to.
UM85

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1316)
All-game rating: (1318)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby jay65536 » 17 Sep 2020, 22:34

Not only is this not against the rules, I don't even consider it poor sportsmanship.

Sometimes in Diplomacy, it will just happen that a player is in a position where they are almost lost. Think of a 4-power endgame where the center counts are something like 16/9/6/3, and if they so desired, the 3 big powers could easily collude to knock out the little one. Most of the time, in this kind of situation, the 3-center power's only leverage is to say, "If you try to eliminate me, I will give my centers to the 16-center power so that the other two of you will lose to a solo." If the 3-center power does not use this threat, they are eliminated; if they follow through on it, they lose to a solo. Either way, they lose. The difference is HOW they lose, not WHETHER they lose. The only way they can get into the draw is by issuing the threat and having the 9- and 6-center powers believe it and lay off, settling for a 4way instead of a 3way.

This is actually an important endgame tool in the arsenal of a small power: putting yourself in a position where you can bring everyone else (except for one) down with you if you get stabbed for draw-whittling purposes.
jay65536

Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Audacia » 17 Sep 2020, 23:56

Related to this, is passively throwing the game. You don't want to NMR, you don't want to surrender, but you just issue and finalize hold orders throwing the game in no strategic way. In one's choice set to be sure, but game throwing nonetheless.
Last edited by Audacia on 09 Oct 2020, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
Resplendent and unfading is wisdom,
and she is readily perceived by those who love her,
and found by those who seek her.
She hastens to make herself known in anticipation of their desire;
Whoever watches for her at dawn shall not be disappointed,
for he shall find her sitting by his gate.
Audacia
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 1000

Postby zeke234 » 18 Sep 2020, 04:31

There is nothing wrong with this. For instance: the game has come down to England/France/Turkey. As long as England/France stay allied, they can hold Turkey off and claim a three way draw. France tells England if he stabs him, he'll throw the game to Turkey. This is a valid strategy. France can either participate in a 3-way draw, or lose. It is in France's best interest to tell his ally England that he will throw the game. He wants to persuade England to accept a 3-way draw rather than go for a 2-way draw, or win.
zeke234

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (991)
All-game rating: (992)

Next

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions