need help understanding the rules of Diplomacy.

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

need help understanding the rules of Diplomacy.

Postby zintapritie2 » 04 Sep 2020, 05:40

A friend got it for me for my birthday, and while it seems fun I can't wrap my head around the rules. can someone do an ELI5 for this?

I'm also not sure if this is where to post this, but I'm not sure where else to go.
zintapritie2

Re: need help understanding the rules of Diplomacy.

Postby DarthWader » 04 Sep 2020, 06:44

Hi! Did you look under "Guides" and then "Game Rules"?

If you have questions, feel free to ask. Darth Wader.
DarthWader
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 2127
All-game rating: 2334
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Guns of Brixton » 04 Sep 2020, 09:57

There's also an excellent mentoring program here: https://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=292&t=45634

Sign up for a mentor game where you play against other newbies learning the rules and peculiarities of this site under the guidance of an experienced mentor. You'll learn not just the nuances of the rules but get a feel for strategy, how/what to communicate with the other players, what suggestions make sense to trust and what to suspect or call BS on, etc.
Platinum Classicist
Channel Swimmer
Guns of Brixton
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1558
All-game rating: 1609
Timezone: GMT

Postby jay65536 » 06 Sep 2020, 03:05

In my opinion, the later editions of the rules are not written with learning in mind. You might try to read some older editions of the rules. They are much more straightforwardly written (in my opinion). You can find them all at diplomacy-archive.com. The early-90s edition is what I used to learn from.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions