Advanced Question... Not in the book of rules!

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Advanced Question... Not in the book of rules!

Postby Kiz Urazgubi » 12 Jul 2020, 16:09

If a unit is supporting another unit, and i attack it (the unit giving support) with a strength of 1 from two different adjacent provinces, thereby creating a stand-off in that province causing my 2 units to remain in their original province, is support cut? Or is it NOT cut because the attack resulted in a stand-off?
Kiz Urazgubi

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 704
All-game rating: 712
Timezone: GMT-4

Re: Advanced Question... Not in the book of rules!

Postby Strategus » 12 Jul 2020, 16:14

Cut
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1619
All-game rating: 1660
Timezone: GMT

Postby Kiz Urazgubi » 12 Jul 2020, 16:16

Thank you, sir, for a very quick answer... I'm just curious though, how do you determine that the support is cut?
Kiz Urazgubi

Postby Strategus » 12 Jul 2020, 16:28

Kiz Urazgubi wrote:Thank you, sir, for a very quick answer... I'm just curious though, how do you determine that the support is cut?

If the unit is attacked by any unit other than the fact that a unit cannot cut the support of a unit that is attacking it. E. g. a supports b to c, c cannot cut b's support by attacking a.

I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Strategus
Premium Member

Postby Strategus » 12 Jul 2020, 16:29

But cutting from two directions guarantees it

I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Strategus
Premium Member

Postby adebruyn666 » 12 Jul 2020, 18:04

The answer is incomplete. Any attack from a unit A on a unit B cuts the support unit B was giving, except...

1. If unit B supports an attack on unit A.
2. If units A and B belong to the same player (since an attack on your own unit has no effect).

Since it is not clear who own the units A, A', and B, it's not clear what the correct answer is.

But indeed, whether A succeeds, fails, or creates a standoff with unit A', it doesn't change anything to support being cut (or not).
"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." --- General Douglas MacArthur.
"Diplomacy: destroying friendship since 1959." --- My favorite t-shirt

Star Ambassador, Platinum Classicist, and a f*ing son of a bitch (according to ungrateful friends I introduced to the game)
adebruyn666
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1402)
All-game rating: (1809)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby mjparrett » 12 Jul 2020, 21:56

If you are unsure, I suggest using the order resolver feature of the site. Type the game number in and you'll get all the units ready, or you can freestyle your own hypothetical board. Very helpful...
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1438
All-game rating: 1483

Postby Kiz Urazgubi » 12 Jul 2020, 22:51

It's very interesting, i've never seen this situation before... I'll take it for granted that the support will be cut. For your own entertainment, i just want to say that Russia has an army in Finland and a fleet in Norway (i'm England)... Now it's the Fall, Norway is still mine, but i just captured Sweden and Stp and i want to keep them, and at the same time drive him out of Norway. I have a fleet in SKA, in BAR,in Sweden, and an army in Stp... I'm thinking

F BAR S F SKA-Nwy
F SKA-Nwy

but i need to cut support from Finland in case he attacks Sweden or Stp because i want to keep them, so i can only cut support from Sweden or Stp, but i have to make them both attack Finland, because if support is being given to F Nwy-Swe, for example, Sweden cannot cut support given against it, right? And if he supports F Nwy-Stp, well then it's not A Stp that can cut support, it's F Swe...

Anyways, thank you all for your answers! I'll attack Finland from both directions to make sure that support from Finland is definetly cut...

Kiz Urazgubi (Odin)
Kiz Urazgubi

Postby WHSeward » 12 Jul 2020, 23:24

FYI, this tactic, two units ordering a self-standoff in an enemy occupied province, has a name: the scissors cut.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions