Supporting units to hold (when they submit a 'move' command)

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Supporting units to hold (when they submit a 'move' command)

Postby andrewpmilne » 29 Jun 2020, 15:41

Hi
I wonder if someone can help me with this one.
In a game I'm playing with friends, the following moves occurred. Eng and Germany are allied, hence why England is supporting a german unit to hold:

ENG
Fleet Spain (SC) Support Marseilles Hold

GER
Army Marseilles - Burg
Army Paris - Burg
(these two moves were to create a bounce to stop anyone else moving to Burgundy)

FRA
Army Gascony- Marseilles
Army Pied Support Gascony- Marseilles

The result was that the German army in Marseilles was defeated and had to be destroyed because there was no retreat option.

I was under the impression you could support a unit to hold, even if that unit was commanded to move, in the event that the move order did not work out (in the case here, bounced).
Obviously I was wrong for some reason! IS this because it was being supported by another country? Or perhaps because the move given was to create a bounce with a unit from the same country?
Any advice greatly appreciated!
andrewpmilne

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (967)
All-game rating: (966)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Supporting units to hold (when they submit a 'move' comm

Postby David E. Cohen » 29 Jun 2020, 15:56

Per the rules, a unit may not be supported to hold if it is ordered to attempt to make a legal move. Whether the attempted move succeeds or not is immaterial.
Last edited by David E. Cohen on 22 Jul 2020, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
Play every game of Diplomacy as if it will be the last game of Diplomacy you will ever play.
David E. Cohen

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pops2112 » 29 Jun 2020, 17:04

Slightly surprised to be recommending these to someone registered on the PlayDip site for a decade, but by way of outrageous self-publicity I recently posted my own 'Beginners' Guides' that started out life as a one-stop point of reference for some newbies in my family playing for the first time:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=61004

The bottom line is that David is right, this is clear in the official rules and it should be made clear in any summary of them anyone might ever put out there. You can Support to Hold a unit that is ordered to Hold OR a unit that is given a Support order where that Support is cut. You can Support to Move a unit that is ordered to Move, BUT that means Support it to Move, NOT help it not to be dislodged if the Move fails. Despite that being (I think) clear in the rules, and in case this makes you feel better at all, I have seen in my few months playing online here (after lots of playing the original board game years and years ago) that you are by no means the only one to misunderstand that the second type of valid Support to Hold (where the supported unit had a Support order but that Support was cut) somehow translates to an entitlement to Support to Hold a unit ordered to Move where the Move fails.

In your game example, and if I assume no unit elsewhere is relevant, the only way to save Marseilles was if the orders were for Spain to Support Marseilles to Hold, as actually ordered, and for Marseilles to Hold or to Support the Move by Paris to Burgundy, but then obviously you would not have got the 'bounce' you say you wanted.
Pops2112
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1029
All-game rating: 1108

Postby Phlegmatic » 29 Jun 2020, 17:23

If a unit is supported to Hold, the supported unit must not move or the support fails.
Phlegmatic

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1437
All-game rating: 1589

Postby ColonelApricot » 30 Jun 2020, 12:29

While the information provided above is correct it is not complete.

TO be exact "If a unit is supported to Hold, the supported unit must not be given a legal move order or the support fails."
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1408

Postby tarekhack » 01 Jul 2020, 16:36

Thanks to everyone who managed to answer that in two sentences or less
tarekhack

Class: Diplomat