A subtle? convoy rules question

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

A subtle? convoy rules question

Postby Cataclysmia » 16 May 2020, 15:14

I have the following scenario..

An army is being convoyed, with a force of 2, into a coastal region where there is an opposing fleet.
The opposing fleet(moving) is attempting to dislodge the convoy, with a force of 2.
The convoying fleet is supported adequately so that it is not dislodged.
Do the units bounce or does the army land successfully?
Cataclysmia

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1101)
All-game rating: (1101)
Timezone: GMT

Re: A subtle? convoy rules question

Postby mjparrett » 16 May 2020, 15:20

I suggest for all the nuances of these things that you use the order solver. Allows you to figure out exactly what is going on. Also stops you posting here about live games which isn't really allowed.

In the example you mention the convoy would work as the convoying fleet does not get dislodged. The defending unit isn't being supported to hold, rather it is trying to dislodge the convoy. That bounces 2v2, so the convoy can work. I assume you mean from the first sentence that the army being convoyed in also has support to the destination? If so it will land and dislodge the defending fleet. If it doesn't have support, the convoy in theory would still work (and the orders would show convoy as successful), but the moving army would bounce.
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1474
All-game rating: 1514

Re: A subtle? convoy rules question

Postby Cataclysmia » 16 May 2020, 15:57

Groovy. That is how I interpreted things as well. I really appreciate it.
One small point, the game is not a live game here on this site. It is a world diplomacy game involving 17 other players, somewhere else.
I answered the question for someone, and then thought I would get some validation from the experts that I know inhabit this site!
Thanks again, so much.
Cataclysmia

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1101)
All-game rating: (1101)

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions