Retreat question

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Retreat question

Postby Partisano » 01 May 2020, 15:14

Can I retreat to a province owned by a force but unoccupied? Thanks.
Partisano

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 964
All-game rating: 964
Timezone: GMT

Re: Retreat question

Postby Strategus » 01 May 2020, 15:26

You can retreat to any adjacent space to which you would be able to move normally (e.g. You cannot move a fleet inland, or an army to sea), as long as it is vacant and not "embattled". Embattled is when the spaced was bounced into by two or more units in the turn that dislodged your unit.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1546
All-game rating: 1565

Postby Partisano » 01 May 2020, 15:37

Very clear, Strategus. Thanks!
Partisano

Standard rating: 964
All-game rating: 964

Postby Josey Wales » 01 May 2020, 23:56

Embattled space is very useful at times in destroying another unit by removing a possible retreat spot.
If you are gonna fight, then fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's ark … and brother, it just started to rain

Aspiring Classicist, Certified SPAM ABASSADOR, with a STAR
Josey Wales
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1104
All-game rating: 1134
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Aunt Sally » 12 Jun 2020, 03:22

I have a follow-up question to this retreat question. The rules (I'm looking at 4th edition) seem to clearly indicate clearly that "A unit cannot retreat to... a province that was left vacant by a standoff during the same turn."

However, the playdiplomacy site *appears to allow me to do just that.

My fleet is in Denmark, my attacker came from Sweden, and I had a standoff with an army in Kiel, that army having bounced back to Berlin. When I select "retreat to Sweden" it gives me the warning "cannot retreat to the zone the attacker came from." but when I select "retreat to Kiel" it appears to enter the order and allow my retreat.

Is this a glitch or is there something I'm not understanding about the rule that actually allows my retreat to Kiel?
Aunt Sally

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Shyvve » 12 Jun 2020, 04:00

Editing my previous reply as this almost certainly refers to an ongoing game. I will just say that, simply because the interface allows particular orders to be entered, that's no guarantee of the result.
I would suggest using the Orders Solver to explore what happens with your various retreat options here.

This is most definitely not a glitch. You seem to understand the rule regarding disallowed retreats correctly, ;)
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1313
All-game rating: 1345
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby WHSeward » 12 Jun 2020, 04:14

Quick Start wrote:One point must be emphasized: the system will let you enter illegal orders, so it is up to you to know the rules. Do not be deceived that just because you were able to enter an order, it is OK.
Game Rules wrote:Retreats

25. A dislodged unit must either retreat to a vacant province where it could have moved or be destroyed. Armies may not retreat via a convoy.

26. Units may not retreat to a province where there was a bounce or from where the attack came.

27. If there is no legal retreat for a dislodged unit, it is automatically destroyed. If two units try to retreat to the same province, they are both destroyed.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Aunt Sally » 12 Jun 2020, 21:20

Thank you! It would (obviously) have been very convenient for me to have been able to take Kiel, and would have jumped at the chance if it was legal, but it also seemed unfair! Glad I checked. Thanks again.
Aunt Sally

All-game rating: (1000)

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions