Retreat question

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Retreat question

Postby betacuck69 » 16 Apr 2020, 19:33

Let's say me and another country bounce in a territory, and then both get dislodged from our original territory. The game UI online is telling me I can retreat to the territory I bounced in, but the rules state

"A unit can’t retreat to:
• a province that is occupied;
• the province from which the attacker came; or
• a province that was left vacant by a standoff during
the same turn."

Why is the UI telling me retreating to the bounced territory is legal? Is that not a "province that was left vacant by a standoff during the same turn"?

Thanks in advance guys.
betacuck69

Re: Retreat question

Postby Strategus » 16 Apr 2020, 19:36

If you bounced there, you cannot retreat there. The game will let you order it, but will auto-destroy the unit on order resolution.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1546
All-game rating: 1565
Timezone: GMT

Postby betacuck69 » 16 Apr 2020, 19:43

Thank you so much! I wonder why the menu based ordering includes that as a valid move as it does not include any of the other invalid moves (such as a territory currently occupied)
betacuck69

Postby Strategus » 16 Apr 2020, 19:47

It normally accepts invalid moves. Maybe retreat it just rejects the space you are in. You can use the order solver if in doubt.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1546
All-game rating: 1565

Postby Mr.E » 16 Apr 2020, 20:23

The game let's you make mistakes because a player might want to deliberately misorder. Not me, of course.... :)
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Visit The Embassy, a Diplomacy blog.
Read Perfidious Issue 3.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 941
All-game rating: 1066

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions