! Rule Q - Supporting F into coastal territory

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

! Rule Q - Supporting F into coastal territory

Postby rock4 » 20 May 2008, 11:28

Hi all,

I have an army in Rum, and want to support F Con - Bul.

For some reason, the website is asking me *which coast* I want to support the fleet into. I'm 95% sure the correct order is simply:

A Rum S F Con - Bul.

The support should be valid regardless of which coast the fleet decides to occupy, correct?

Regardless of the technically correct order - my real question is, how does this website adjudicate orders? What happens if I choose to support into "Bulgaria" with no coast selected - does this cover moves to BOTH coasts, or will this support be invalid for any fleet (which necessarily moves to a specific coast)?

Thanks,
rock4

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1013)
All-game rating: (1013)
Timezone: GMT

Re: ! Rule Q - Supporting F into coastal territory

Postby Spitfire » 20 May 2008, 11:40

Its just asking you to specificly support a move to a certain coast, which is required in the rules i think.

The reason being, if im Russia and your Turkey, and I support you, I could have agreed sc but not ec.

The site doesnt need to adjudicate those orders as everything must have a specific coast if the territory has a specific coast to move to.

In fact, if your in mars, and go to spain with a fleet, you'll still need to specifically pick the sc. (a small pop up box allows you to pick which coast)

Is this helpful?
Diplomacy is to break someone's leg and then to say; "Lean on me."
Spitfire

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Spitfire » 20 May 2008, 11:50

I've had a decent look at the rulebook, and says nothing I can find about specificly supporting moves into coasts, the focus is not on the supporter, only the supported. So in ftf, i would have assumed your right rock4,

however, if the site is doing it that way, you obviously need to specifly pick the coast.

Maybe somebody else has come across this specific rule and can elaborate?
Spitfire

Postby rock4 » 20 May 2008, 12:04

I also checked the rulebook (http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/diplomacy.pdf), and the way I read it, the fleet moving to Bulgaria of course has to specify a coast. But the unit providing support only needs to specify the destination, e.g. Bulgaria, rather than specifying SC or EC. So yes, even though I'm hoping the fleet moves to the south coast, the support (just to Bulgaria, with no coast specified) is valid regardless of which coast is actually attacked.

So, there are still two open questions. 1) What is the rule? Does support have to specify the coast being attacked, or is support valid for any attack into that province? 2) How does the website adjudicate these issues? Is it in accordance with question 1, or would e.g. A Rum S F Con - Bul(sc) provide no support to the order F Con-Bul(ec) ?
rock4

Standard rating: (1013)
All-game rating: (1013)

Postby Spitfire » 20 May 2008, 14:01

1) Since the rulebook is not clear, I would imagine the rule is up for debate, but if the website is asking for a specific coast to support to, then thats probably Avalanches interpretation of the rules.

2) If the website asks for a coast, have to enter one or the order wont register. And i imagine the coast will need to be the correct one that the supported unit is moving to.
Spitfire

Postby behnam » 20 May 2008, 19:55

In my opinion, the rulebook is in fact, clear enough about this. Page 10 of the most recent official rulebook:

A unit ordered to move can only be supported by a
support order that matches the move the unit is trying to
make

Because the unit is moving to Bulgaria sc for example, the support order MUST match that order, meaning Bulgaria sc. A support to Bulgaria ec would be invalid, as would a support to Bulgaria, because none of those match the move order.

In f2f games as well, the support order should clearly state which coast the other unit is moving to. Failure to specify the coast would result in a misorder. The website is consistent with this.

Hope this helps.
nil desperandum ; sempre vincenti

behnam

Standard rating: (975)
All-game rating: (978)

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions