Ancient Med Sinai/Thebes - land border/coasts

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Ancient Med Sinai/Thebes - land border/coasts

Postby drillbit » 03 Sep 2019, 15:47

I've just been studying the Ancient Med map.

Thebes & Sinai seem to have a land border but they have no designated coasts. Does this mean that a fleet can move
Reed Sea > Sinai, and then Sinai > Jerusalem for example?

I admit I'm probably being a pedant but shouldn't either
a) Thebes and Sinai have coastal assignments
or
b) The Nile Delta flood the Sinai/Thebes land border to allow the board to play as it currently does.

I imagine the answer is that it would either affect gameplay/the balance of the board too much and/or it would not reflect the actual geography of the area if it was changed.
I'd be interested if anybody does know the actual reason for it though. Thanks.
drillbit

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1284
All-game rating: 1487
Timezone: GMT

Re: Ancient Med Sinai/Thebes - land border/coasts

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 03 Sep 2019, 16:00

Sinai and Thebes are both canal spaces, much like Denmark & Kiel. They do not have split coastlines.

This is anachronistic, of course, but that's pretty typical for Dip variants.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1451
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Ancient Med Sinai/Thebes - land border/coasts

Postby drillbit » 03 Sep 2019, 18:24

I've just found it stated in the Ancient Med guide, I couldn't remember how to get to the guides earlier.
The map just confused me a bit as I couldn't see anything on it that might have indicated a 'canal'.
All sorted in my head now though.
drillbit

Standard rating: 1284
All-game rating: 1487
Timezone: GMT

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions