Why does a zero center extend the game in fall?

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Why does a zero center extend the game in fall?

Postby OldBaldGuy » 15 Nov 2018, 22:06

Currently playing game 144779. This is a protected game. It is Fall, and Austria has just been eliminated. Austria is the only country with a retreat. Regardless of where Austria retreats, the unit will have to be destroyed. So why is the game extended in this situation? Nothing Austria or a replacement could do would change the outcome - elimination of the Austria units.
OldBaldGuy
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1220)
All-game rating: (1247)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Why does a zero center extend the game in fall?

Postby NJLonghorn » 15 Nov 2018, 22:13

I think the answer is probably that the programming would be unjustifiably involved. They would have to "teach" the computer how to consider every possible scenario and determine whether any of them might make a difference in the game.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby OldBaldGuy » 15 Nov 2018, 22:22

I think this is a fairly simple decision tree. Is it fall? If yes, Does the retreating country have any SCs? If No, destroy all units and advance the game. I know this is a small thing but it is a smart enhancement.
OldBaldGuy
Premium Member

Postby Zosimus » 15 Nov 2018, 22:28

Doesn't this eliminate the possibility that said unit might be able to retreat into an open supply center?
Be more aggressive.
Zosimus

Standard rating: (1696)
All-game rating: (1730)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Charleroi » 15 Nov 2018, 22:38

The retreating unit could also destroy a displaced unit controlled by a foreign power if both retreated into the same space.
Charleroi

Standard rating: 1577
All-game rating: 1648

Postby OldBaldGuy » 15 Nov 2018, 22:40

Great point. That could extend the game, and I see how the programming would get complex.
OldBaldGuy
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Nov 2018, 08:08

The key points have already been made, but I would also add that if a country cannot retreat, the unit is destroyed in the movement phase rather than having to destroy in a Retreat one. If this was the only unit that would otherwise have had to retreat, the turn can then skip the retreat phase entirely. But that did not apply here because the Austrian unit had somewhere it could have retreated to so it was not immediately destroyed in the Fall movement phase.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941
Timezone: GMT

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions