Joining Games

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Joining Games

Postby Lifeless_Light » 06 Dec 2017, 20:21

Hello Diplomacy Forums! I've come to ask today about a single question that I'd like to have answered.

Is it okay to join a game just to change the game so dramatically and reek havoc upon a player that you have previously played with JUST because they beat you and you're bitter about it? I feel like that isn't fair, and that you shouldn't let your personal grudge get in the way of an otherwise fair game.

Thanks!

Lifeless Light
Lifeless_Light

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1108)
All-game rating: (1110)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Joining Games

Postby duckling » 06 Dec 2017, 20:34

No, this is absolutely not allowed.

This is very clear if you read the rules.
There are at least two rules prohibiting this.
duckling

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1130)
All-game rating: (1176)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Nanook » 06 Dec 2017, 20:35

Lifeless_Light wrote:Hello Diplomacy Forums! I've come to ask today about a single question that I'd like to have answered.

Is it okay to join a game just to change the game so dramatically and reek havoc upon a player that you have previously played with JUST because they beat you and you're bitter about it? I feel like that isn't fair, and that you shouldn't let your personal grudge get in the way of an otherwise fair game.

Thanks!

Lifeless Light

No, it is not fair to do this. In fact, it is actually against our site rules and a player doing this will be punished for it.

If you've experienced this or witnessed it in one of your games, please send a PM to the cheater hunter group with the relevant information.

If you were considering doing this yourself, don't.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mhsmith0 » 06 Dec 2017, 20:36

If it's a friendly game you might get away with it? Preeeety sure it's banned in all other formats though.
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 06 Dec 2017, 21:37

Resist temptation. ;)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1051
All-game rating: 1148

Postby duckling » 06 Dec 2017, 22:00

mhsmith0: If it's a friendly game you might get away with it? Preeeety sure it's banned in all other formats though.

Yes, you’ll get away with it, i guess. Friends games are not investigated for cheating.

It is still banned, though.
duckling

Postby Nanook » 06 Dec 2017, 22:04

duckling wrote:
mhsmith0: If it's a friendly game you might get away with it? Preeeety sure it's banned in all other formats though.

Yes, you’ll get away with it, i guess. Friends games are not investigated for cheating.

It is still banned, though.

Actually, for a friends game, this would be fine. ONLY in a friends game. If this was done in a ranked or norank game, it would be cause for punishment.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby duckling » 06 Dec 2017, 23:26

Actually, for a friends game, this would be fine. ONLY in a friends game. If this was done in a ranked or norank game, it would be cause for punishment.

OK? I missed something then.
The only exemptions I find is that it will not be investigated. Not that any of the fair-play rules do not apply.
duckling

Postby Nanook » 06 Dec 2017, 23:38

duckling wrote:

OK? I missed something then.
The only exemptions I find is that it will not be investigated. Not that any of the fair-play rules do not apply.

In friends games only, we allow out of game comms, allying with people solely because they're your brother, stabbing said brother because they ate the last cookie...it's basically anything goes as long as it is contained to friends games (i.e., you still can't agree to do something in a friends game in exchange for them doing something in a ranked game).

I'm one of the cheater hunters. I know what I'm talking about* :)

*usually ;)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby duckling » 07 Dec 2017, 00:08

Well, I'm not one to argue with cheater hunters. I've needed them too much for that :D
duckling

Next

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions