How do the logistics work?

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

How do the logistics work?

Postby Yabada » 14 May 2008, 15:23

I have played the board game Diplomacy, and I am about to join my first game on this website. Is there somewhere on this website to explain how it works logistically? For example, how do you contact other players to negotiate -- email? How do you give orders? Will this all be self-explanatory once the game begins? Thanks.
Yabada

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: How do the logistics work?

Postby Spitfire » 14 May 2008, 15:41

Once you sign up for a game, and you get seven players, you will be emailed the country you have been assigned and be asked to confirm.

You can do this in the "My pending games" tab in the main games tab. Select them game, and then you'll see an option to comfirm.

Once in the game, you can communicate with players in two ways. With the shoutbox, which is like MSN messanger for all players. Everyone can read the messages you post. And you have an option to be annoynomus or not.

Second option is in the message tab. In here you'll be able to send and recieve messages from individual countries. It should be easy enough to figure it out. To send a message just click compose, and on the screen you;ll have a subject box and a main text box. At the top you'll have check boxes for each country. simply check the boxes for which country or countries you wish to send the mail to.

Keep in mind its cc. If you send a message to Italy and INclude France, both countries will know they both received it.

Is this explanitory enough? Any other questions?
Diplomacy is to break someone's leg and then to say; "Lean on me."
Spitfire

Timezone: GMT

Postby dakka » 14 May 2008, 17:37

Just to add to Spitfire's comments.

The messaging feature in the game is very intuitive and simple. Same goes for orders. If you are 'windows capable' you will see how easy it is right off.

If you're used to playing FTF there seem to be some differences in the nature of communication. Don't take brief or even one word replies to mean anything more than a lazy player. Internet jargon is rife. People, especially on the boards, are quite helpful so you should never be stranded.

dakka
dakka

Postby Spitfire » 14 May 2008, 20:13

Yeah dont hesititate to list an issue on the forum, or if its an in game issue, and you want someone outside the games opinion feel free to pm me.
Diplomacy is to break someone's leg and then to say; "Lean on me."
Spitfire

Timezone: GMT

Postby Yabada » 16 May 2008, 21:07

Thank you.
Yabada