Would PlayDip's engine process these as misorders?

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Would PlayDip's engine process these as misorders?

Postby jay65536 » 21 Oct 2017, 15:11

Question is not really about the rules, but about how PlayDip's engine interprets them.

Obviously if someone orders F Por-Spa, that is a misorder and the unit cannot move.

Now suppose I am playing a live game, where orders are written and adjudicated by people. If I order F Por-Spa/nc, and also F GoL S Por-Spa, these are valid orders and the fleet in Portugal moves with a strength of 2.

However, I have noticed that I am not allowed to write orders like this on PlayDip. When I am submitting an order for F GoL in my hypothetical example, I must specify the coast to which the attacking fleet is moving. The engine does not allow me to issue the order "F GoL S Por-Spa", which is valid in real life; instead it forces me to order "F GoL S Por-Spa/nc". (As an aside, I have yet to test whether PlayDip's engine allows that support order to be valid--I sure hope it does!)

Now here's my question. Suppose I instead ordered F GoL S Por-Spa/sc. Would PlayDip process this as an invalid support order, causing Por-Spa/nc to move with strength 1?

The reason I am asking, in case it is not clear, is that by the rules of Diplomacy, if I wrote that, the order should still be adjudicated as a valid support.* There is a rule that says: any order, no matter how badly written, if it only has one interpretation, must be followed. In the case I'm asking about, F GoL S Por-Spa/sc is a badly written order that only has one interpretation: F GoL S Por-Spa, which IS a valid order and should be followed. I am just wondering if PlayDip's engine departs from the rules in this case for simplicity of coding or what-have-you.

Actually, now that I think about it, there is a related question as well. Suppose that I were to make an order like F GoL-Spa/nc. In real life, this is a badly written order that can only have one correct interpretation: namely, F GoL-Spa/sc. And as such, the order should be processed that way.* Does PlayDip also interpret this as an invalid order and cause F GoL not to move?

(*Potentially controversial, but at the very least, my statement is far from being universally accepted as incorrect, because of the "badly written order" rule.)
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Would PlayDip's engine process these as misorders?

Postby asudevil » 21 Oct 2017, 15:20

I know of NO table where GOL - SPA (nc) would be considered a valid order.

The playdip engine you have to match exactly...its too hard for it to figure out what you MEANT...its a program...and so you have to match exactly. Sorry if that isn't EXACTLY what the rules are...but there really just isn't much of a choice when you are dealing with a computer program.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby StarWatcher009 » 21 Oct 2017, 16:04

the Orders solver tab should also answer most of these questions.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1406)
Timezone: GMT

Postby jay65536 » 21 Oct 2017, 18:16

Oh, good call. I forgot that exists.
jay65536

Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby super_dipsy » 21 Oct 2017, 21:22

You may also went to check out the Playdip-specific rule interpretations and implementations, which are here http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=646&t=41661. These cover the places where the rules as written are ambiguous, silent, unclear or where we have made a conscious decision to do something different. So for example illegal orders features there since the official rules as written are unclear.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)

Postby ColonelApricot » 21 Oct 2017, 22:31

[quote]The engine does not allow me to issue the order "F GoL S Por-Spa", which is valid in real life; instead it forces me to order "F GoL S Por-Spa/nc". /quote]
Not so. Also you are conflating the engine with the UI. The UI allows the entry of these ambiguous orders but the engine invaldates them. If a support order does not match exactly then it will be invalidated.

.. CA
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1010)
All-game rating: (1400)

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions