Can you support a vacant space?

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Can you support a vacant space?

Postby Jonny U » 16 Oct 2017, 17:36

Can I order a unit to support a space that I am vacating? I need to free up a space in order to build new units next year, but if I vacate, then I may be giving the space up to Russia.

Here's the example: I am playing as Germany. I have armies in Holland, Kiel, Ruhr and Munich and I took Denmark this year from Heligoland (and thus added a supply center). Russia controls Berlin, Silesia, and the Baltic. I need to vacate a supply center in Germany in order to build a new unit next year, but if I vacate Munich or Kiel, I am afraid Russia will step right in. Can I move my army out of Kiel and issue a "A Hol S Kie" order even if I no longer have a unit in Kiel? I'd like to vacate Kiel, but still protect Kiel from a Russian attack from Baltic or Berlin.

Logically, it seems that you would be able to support your vacant supply center without having a unit in that space, but the rules don't appear to address this question.
Jonny U

Re: Can you support a vacant space?

Postby Locutus » 16 Oct 2017, 17:41

You are supporting a unit (fleet or army) when you issue a support order... so no, you can't support a vacuum to hold.
Locutus
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 911
All-game rating: 942
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby mjparrett » 16 Oct 2017, 19:06

You need to be clever at times like this and self bounce etc to keep centres open
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1488)
All-game rating: (1524)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Charleroi » 17 Oct 2017, 17:40

The self bounce does run the risk of the "malicious support" order.

Consider for example:
Germany owns Holland and Kiel and has armies in Belgium (which is owned by France) and Kiel. France has an army in Ruhr. Holland is vacant.

Germany orders:
Bel--> Hol
Kiel --> Hol intending to keep Ruhr out and stay in Belgium so that is becomes German.

France orders:
Ruh S Bel-->Hol

With french support, the German 'attack' from Belgium to Holland succeeds and Belgium is left vacant. The vacant (french) supply center remains French.
Charleroi

Standard rating: 1577
All-game rating: 1606
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Bromley86 » 17 Oct 2017, 23:21

It was a real shock to find out, as I did (the hard way), that you could be maliciously supported.

To answer the unintentional question posed in the title: yes if you're playing with actual written orders, no in this implementation of the game. Of course, supporting a vacant territory is a wasted move, but there are times when you want to pretend you misordered; I was quite surprised that PlayDip didn't let you enter that misorder.
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Standard rating: (1880)
All-game rating: (2233)
Timezone: GMT+12

Postby gareth66 » 18 Oct 2017, 00:33

You can always pre-emptively cut a malicious support order by a precautionary unsupported attack on a potential source of unwanted support.....! :?
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions