What happens when orders are typed but not finalized

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

What happens when orders are typed but not finalized

Postby Astrup » 26 Sep 2017, 09:53

Hey all.

I tried to search the forum but couldn't find an answer. The question is pretty basic: What happens if you type in your orders but don't finalize and the clock runs out? Does the game just take the orders you have, or do you just get hold orders across the board?

I just see so many games where the clock run completely out on every turn, but everybody seems to have their orders in place. And I don't really want to make a test my self out of fear that I would get all holds.

Hope you can help.

- Simon
Astrup

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1165
All-game rating: 1172
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: What happens when orders are typed but not finalized

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 26 Sep 2017, 09:57

Astrup wrote:Hey all.

I tried to search the forum but couldn't find an answer. The question is pretty basic: What happens if you type in your orders but don't finalize and the clock runs out? Does the game just take the orders you have, or do you just get hold orders across the board?

I just see so many games where the clock run completely out on every turn, but everybody seems to have their orders in place. And I don't really want to make a test my self out of fear that I would get all holds.

Hope you can help.

- Simon

You NEVER have to finalize your orders. They will process as long as you have them in. Finalizing just means you're telling the system that you're ok with it process before the deadline. As long as you have orders written, those orders will be processed without the need to finalize :)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1413
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Custer » 26 Sep 2017, 11:32

You don't have to finalize, but some times (most) it just makes sense to. ;)

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1099
All-game rating: 1117
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 26 Sep 2017, 11:33

The SHIV wrote:You don't have to finalize, but some times (most) it just makes sense to. ;)

The SHIV

For some people, sure. Some of us need all the time we can get ;)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1413
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Astrup » 26 Sep 2017, 12:00

Thanks for answering.

- Simon
Astrup

Standard rating: 1165
All-game rating: 1172
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby gareth66 » 26 Sep 2017, 12:32

I still think the phrase "You need to finalise orders" on the home page, in the list of YES/NO checks on the home page of the games site is very misleading. There is no "need" at all.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Custer » 26 Sep 2017, 14:48

You're absolutely correct, no need, just a courtesy is all.

Shivalry is not dead...... ;)

LOL
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1099
All-game rating: 1117

Postby sinnybee » 26 Sep 2017, 23:37

The SHIV wrote:Shivalry is not dead...... ;)

LOL

LOL........
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Philover » 27 Sep 2017, 05:01

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
Astrup wrote:Hey all.

Hope you can help.

- Simon

You NEVER have to finalize your orders. They will process as long as you have them in. Finalizing just means you're telling the system that you're ok with it process before the deadline. As long as you have orders written, those orders will be processed without the need to finalize :)

To clarify, if every country has finalized their orders, the moves will process before time runs out. Not finalizing is perfectly fine, but by finalizing, you make it possible for the game to move more quickly (if everyone else is ready)
"Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions."

--Winston Churchill
Philover

Standard rating: 1044
All-game rating: 1049

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions