Playing with Friends on PlayDiplomacy

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Playing with Friends on PlayDiplomacy

Postby merlinus12 » 22 Sep 2017, 02:57

I have several real-life friends who would like to play diplomacy, but we live in different cities and lack the magic number "7" that makes for a REAL game of diplomacy.

Is it acceptable for us to play together in an open game on the site, provided that we do not communicate about the game outside of the Messages system and do not create a priori alliances? Would this be frowned upon or considered unfair?
merlinus12

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1028)
All-game rating: (1031)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Playing with Friends on PlayDiplomacy

Postby sinnybee » 22 Sep 2017, 03:09

That's fine, just make sure you follow the rules, including those you've listed.
This type of game is normally created as a "friends" game.

If you want it to be your friends only, it can be a short-handed game.

If you want 7 players:
If I were in your shoes, I would create this as a password protected game. Then, I would make a post giving out the password and informing of the situation, so that whoever joins would be aware of the situation.
Other ways to do it too, like only giving out the password by PM if you want to be more selective, or not using a password and explaining the situation in the game description if you want to less selective.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 22 Sep 2017, 03:20

merlinus12 wrote:I have several real-life friends who would like to play diplomacy, but we live in different cities and lack the magic number "7" that makes for a REAL game of diplomacy.

Is it acceptable for us to play together in an open game on the site, provided that we do not communicate about the game outside of the Messages system and do not create a priori alliances? Would this be frowned upon or considered unfair?

There is a special class of game here, called friends games, designed specifically for people in your situation! Friends games are essentially ignored with regards to cheating hunting, so talking out of game, ganging up on Dave because of his stupid face, all fair game.

However, if you don't have a full 7, there are a couple options open to you...

Advertise the Friends game on the forum, and see if there are enough people willing to play to round out the numbers. This option is often effective, and you usually can find a couple people willing to play.

Play a norank game, and be upfront that some of you know each other in real life. This one you have to be more careful with--make sure that everyone is communicating in the messaging system rather than using outside messaging, and if you gang up on Dave it has be because he stupidly refuses to use an oxford comma (or because he insisted on having Sweden/Norway/Rumania in the first year), not because he has a stupid face.

You can also play a ranked game and do the same as in the norank game, but if you have any concern over whether you'd be able to treat each other fairly, it's probably best to stick to the noranked or friends game option.

Hope that helps!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1413
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby WarSmith » 22 Sep 2017, 06:47

I hate that Dave guy's face also; and his grammar sucks too.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith

Standard rating: 1689
All-game rating: 1685
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby hedge trimmer » 22 Sep 2017, 11:30

You should definitely mention it in the game description at least. There have been some good suggestions regarding what other things you could do, but I think that's the bare minimum.

It's not a fun surprise to join a seemingly normal game and find out later that the reason people are playing in a certain way is because they're friends.
Silent and deadly Loud and annoying
hedge trimmer

Standard rating: 1382
All-game rating: 1400
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Bromley86 » 22 Sep 2017, 15:36

What you said in your OP is correct: no pre-teaming, no communicating outside of the game. I'd take a slightly different position from the others.

Really, your situation is no different to people who know each other from the forums, other games, etc. So I'd be happy to play you and your friends in a hypothetical ranked game, and without you all announcing your relationship in the shoutbox (which would probably unnecessarily affect how I'd approach alliances/comms). The key would be that you all played correctly: i.e. you'd treat me the same as you'd treat any of your friends, and v.v. Which includes no suiciding against Dave because he screwed you over in the last game, etc. I'd also send a pm to a mod telling them of the connected accounts. Not because I'd expect them to police us, but just to show willing.

If you (plural) can't honestly commit to this, that's fine, but stick to friends games as others have suggested. That way, everyone's happy. In that situation, I would put a note in the description, just so people can be forewarned.

In both cases, I'd probably avoid anon player games, just to avoid the suggestion of impropriety. That's unlikely to be a big deal though.

Edited to reflect Charleroi's excellent anon countries suggestion.
Last edited by Bromley86 on 23 Sep 2017, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Standard rating: (1880)
All-game rating: (2233)
Timezone: GMT+12

Postby Charleroi » 22 Sep 2017, 16:38

Depending on how well you would recognize one another's messaging style, you might also try an anonymous countries match. That way you won't know who is playing which power, so the temptation to work with Austria because that's Dave and you actually like Dave's face won't exist.

That said, there are a lot of players here who figure out who is who in anonymous games astoundingly quickly. That is not among my talents, so setting up the anonymous countries game would work for me. Others may think that's not a full solution.
Charleroi

Standard rating: 1577
All-game rating: 1606
Timezone: GMT-6

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions