Bounced on one unit while attack supported?

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Bounced on one unit while attack supported?

Postby Lavron » 16 Sep 2017, 03:08

Hey all,

So I'm a bit confused by a rules outcome in a friends game. Situation is was as follows:

Italy Fleet Spain
Italy Army Peidmont
France Army Marseilles

Ok, so
Spain Sup Pei->Mar
Pei->Mar
Mar->Pie

causes a bounce (which happened and confused me), but if Mar had held or attacked Spain then Peidmont ends up in Mar. Can I get some clarification as to what's happening or the associated rule? The way I see is its a 2v1 thing.
Lavron

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1051)
All-game rating: (1060)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Bounced on one unit while attack supported?

Postby Bromley86 » 16 Sep 2017, 03:25

Completing the picture:

Marseilles MOVE Piedmont -> Bounced
Tyrolia SUPPORT Marseilles to Piedmont -> Supported unit has failed

BTW, it's useful to get into the habit of thinking of the Fleets as occupying the relevant coast.
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1880)
All-game rating: (2233)
Timezone: GMT+12

Postby Lavron » 16 Sep 2017, 03:44

Yes, I get that fleets occupy coasts. No other units interacted with these units. So why does a Spain supports Peidmont to Marseilles fail when Marseilles attacks Peidmont, but succeed if Marseilles holds or attacks Spain?

Should not Marseilles be dislodged regardless of its own action?
Lavron

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1051)
All-game rating: (1060)
Timezone: GMT

Postby WHSeward » 16 Sep 2017, 03:58

It is a bounce because it is a 2v2 head-to-head conflict (Mar & Trl v Spa & Pie). No one wins, so neither unit advances.

If you think Mar should have been dislodged, ask yourself why Pie shouldn't have been dislodged? Which one should get to move? The answer is neither. It is a bounce in a fair fight.

Does that make sense?
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby WarSmith » 16 Sep 2017, 09:54

Looks like he missed the fact Tyrolia (controlled by a 3rd power) provided a support. And 2v2.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith

Standard rating: 1689
All-game rating: 1685
Timezone: GMT+2

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions