Friends playing against others

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Friends playing against others

Postby Rick2800 » 24 Jul 2017, 18:52

Is playing with friends while in an open to all game, allowed?
Recently I was involved in a game where two other players were aloud to sit untouched with a single unit while the others took me out.
The only reason for this is to let them collect ranked game points while I was removed. Right after I was removed, the two leaders proposed a draw for themselves.
This may seem like sniveling but I suspect above the game chatter. What else can I do but ask for guidance.
Rick2800

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (902)
All-game rating: (901)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Friends playing against others

Postby super_dipsy » 24 Jul 2017, 20:06

You can certainly play with a friend in a ranked game, but you have to be VERY careful to play totally fairly. Otherwise you will be guilty of metagaming at least. The principle here at Playdip is every game should be played on a level playing field. People who know each other need to play as if they were total strangers, at least in their actions.

If you think players deliberately colluded because they were friends, then you can raise that int he Cheaters section of the forum. But read the guidelines of that forum closely first. Let me give an example to show the differences. Sometimes people feel it is unfair if one player throws centres to another to help them to solo. There is nothing in the rules to stop you doing that, BUT if it is a pre-arranged agreement / it is done between freinds, or there is a pattern, THEN it is a problem.

One thing to check is take a look at active or finished games and see if these players have played together before. If they have, did they act the same way? If so, that is definitely worthy of raising in Cheaters.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby BlueBorjigin » 24 Jul 2017, 21:15

It's against the rules to
a) ally with a friend you knew before the game started because you're friends, rather than because it's the right call for that particular game
b) to talk about your game with another player in your game using anything other than the in-game Messages (that means talking about the game face to face, or through Facebook etc. isn't allowed).

In your game, to me it doesn't look like any of those things happened. It looks like a normal two-way alliance, and it's perfectly normal when it gets to the endgame to propose a draw with other players who are about as strong as you are. You'll notice that they have a lot of units on each other's borders, and maybe neither of them feel safe attacking the other.

If you have evidence that they're friends outside of the game rather than just being allies in-game who get along well, read through the following links:
Section B - viewtopic.php?f=659&t=48796
Section A - viewtopic.php?f=660&t=48784
The whole thing (note that standards of evidence required before requesting an investigation are high) - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54352
BlueBorjigin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1160)
All-game rating: (1177)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Bromley86 » 24 Jul 2017, 22:33

Rick2800 wrote:Is playing with friends while in an open to all game, allowed?
Recently I was involved in a game where two other players were aloud to sit untouched with a single unit while the others took me out.
The only reason for this is to let them collect ranked game points while I was removed. Right after I was removed, the two leaders proposed a draw for themselves.
This may seem like sniveling but I suspect above the game chatter. What else can I do but ask for guidance.

This relates to this game. A couple of observations:

1. Good news! The fact that they've (hypothetically) kept their buddies alive until the end of the game would have zero effect on anyone's scores assuming the two 1 SC countries don't make the draw (which the 2-way draw vote would indicate they won't). In the Game of Thrones Diplomacy, you either win (or draw), or you die. F Por sometimes manages to hang in there, as it can be hard to dig out without risking someone soloing. Mind you, the lines aren't solid in this one, so who knows what'll happen.

2. Public accusations of cheating in the shoutbox are against the rules.
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1880)
All-game rating: (2233)
Timezone: GMT+12

Postby Rick2800 » 25 Jul 2017, 03:29

Thank you for your input.I will refrain from accusations in the shout box in the future. But just to be clear,no points are awarded for surviving the end of the game,?
Rick2800

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (902)
All-game rating: (901)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby super_dipsy » 25 Jul 2017, 06:56

Rick2800 wrote:But just to be clear,no points are awarded for surviving the end of the game,?

No.

The only ways to get a 'positive' result are to win (solo), or to be part of a draw. Being part of a draw means being one of the countries named as sharing the draw, not surviving. So if two countries are named in the draw and it goes through, all other countries are considered to have lost whether they have been eliminated or still have pieces / SCs at game end.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions