The Pause Option

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

The Pause Option

Postby Soulless » 20 Jun 2017, 00:29

Hello... I was wondering how it is that the request pause option actually works. I had to go out of town this weekend, and completely lost one of my games that I had 11 centers in. (after missing 5 turns with 12 hour turns) I was wondering for the future how the system actually works, and whether or not it's like the draw system where all players have to agree to it. If so, I was wondering if it would be easier just to have to rule be for a moderator to accept the pause rather than the players, because it's not like to players that are playing against you are just going to be like, "oh, sure, we can pause the game just to give the person attacking us a chance!"

Basically, I was wondering how the request pause option works.

Please inform me on how it works, and thank you in advance.

Soulless
Soulless

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (949)
Timezone: GMT

Re: The Pause Option

Postby asudevil » 20 Jun 2017, 00:36

You are exactly right...you have to request the pause...then all active players have to agree to it.

We always mandated all active players to agree to it even when it was a moderator over-ride (before we made it automated for you)

But while for you it was only a weekend (you could have gotten a sub)...whose to determine what is "valid" and what isn't. Whose to determine how long is "acceptable"

So we deal with all of it via unanimous active players.

Sorry...next time try to request that pause a couple days earlier so it has time to "accept"...or you know so you can find a sub.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Soulless » 20 Jun 2017, 01:37

That sucks. Thanks anyways.
Soulless

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (949)

Postby champinoman » 20 Jun 2017, 08:44

Piggybacking on this;

Is it only the active players that get a vote?

In a game I am currently in it is being reported that the 2 eliminated countries are also being given vote buttons for the pause. Do their votes count? or is this just a visual bug and their votes don't end up counting?
champinoman

Standard rating: (1284)
All-game rating: (1297)
Timezone: GMT+11

Postby super_dipsy » 20 Jun 2017, 12:57

Eliminated countries do not get a vote.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941

Postby Bromley86 » 20 Jun 2017, 13:04

And getting a sub isn't always that easy. I'm a relatively helpful player, but I'd never take a sub position, unless it was for a good buddy. Not saying it doesn't happen for temporary situations, but it certainly will not happen for long term situations.
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Standard rating: (1880)
All-game rating: (2233)
Timezone: GMT+12

Postby asudevil » 20 Jun 2017, 15:07

Bromley86 wrote:And getting a sub isn't always that easy. I'm a relatively helpful player, but I'd never take a sub position, unless it was for a good buddy. Not saying it doesn't happen for temporary situations, but it certainly will not happen for long term situations.

Getting a sub for a weekend...wouldn't be hard. I wouldn't take a long term one...but a temporary sub for a weekend...is pretty easy.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions