Retreat Question

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Re: Retreat Question

Postby SteveHybrid » 12 Jun 2017, 17:51

GPD wrote:
Hybrid wrote:Also what about when a unit leaves a space and there was no stand off? In my example like I asked ;

Would it also be safe to say that if Tuss moved Piedmont uncontested then Venice could retreat into Tuss?

As long as nobody tried to move to a space, and it is vacant, you can retreat to it, as long as you can legally move to it. You can't retreat via a convoy either.

Thanks again.
-Steve
SteveHybrid
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1238
All-game rating: 767
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby edmgrim » 12 Jun 2017, 18:19

The Orders Solver will answer all these questions for you.
edmgrim

Standard rating: (1077)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby SteveHybrid » 12 Jun 2017, 19:26

edmgrim wrote:The Orders Solver will answer all these questions for you.

I've used the order solver a lot. Where does it let me simulate retreats?
-Steve
SteveHybrid
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1238
All-game rating: 767

Postby WHSeward » 12 Jun 2017, 19:27

StarWatcher009 wrote:Can you retreat to the space of the attacking army if it was convoyed?

That is a pretty esoteric question, but the answer is no. You may not retreat to where the attack came from, and if the attack came via convoy, the origin province of the army is where the attack came from.

Actually Orders Solver only helps for orders phases, it doesn't clarify the finer points of retreats.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)

Postby StarWatcher009 » 12 Jun 2017, 19:38

WHSeward wrote:
StarWatcher009 wrote:Can you retreat to the space of the attacking army if it was convoyed?

That is a pretty esoteric question, but the answer is no. You may not retreat to where the attack came from, and if the attack came via convoy, the origin province of the army is where the attack came from.

Thank you, it was just something I thought of while reading this thread. I thought you wouldn't be able to but I'm not sure why. If it's allowed in the orders phase (swapping places) why is it not allowed for retreats.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1406)
Timezone: GMT

Postby WHSeward » 12 Jun 2017, 19:50

It is allowed in orders phase because there is a specific exception for pieces to switch places that way. There is no exception for retreats.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)

Postby edmgrim » 12 Jun 2017, 20:03

Hybrid wrote:

I've used the order solver a lot. Where does it let me simulate retreats?

My bad... I had just woke up....Glad I wasn't writing any orders! ;)
edmgrim

Standard rating: (1077)
All-game rating: (1086)

Postby TheGreatOne » 02 Aug 2017, 05:33

Let's say this happened to set up a hypothetical:
France has army units in Brest, Picardy, and Belgium.
England has army units in Paris, Burgundy, and Ruhr, and Holland.

-England sends Paris to Picardy to cut its support, while Burgundy supports Ruhr to Belgium, and Holland bounced some third party force in Kiel

-France supported Picardy to Paris with Brest support, and Belgium is dislodged and awaiting its retreat phase.

Can the dislodged Belgium army retreat to Picardy? England did attempt an attack there, but France didn't bounce him, he supported Picardy to Paris. So did the attack at Picardy ever really occur? Can Belgium retreat there?

Please help. I have a crucial retreat in another game with a similar senario and though I have other places to retreat, it would be extremely advantageous in my predicament to do a retreat like the example from Belgium to Picardy. But, I do not want to make an illegal retreat that will force a destroy and blow my entire position on that front.
TheGreatOne

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (912)
All-game rating: (891)

Postby super_dipsy » 02 Aug 2017, 07:09

Picardy is not a location 'left vacant by a standoff', so Belgium can retreat there.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Postby super_dipsy » 02 Aug 2017, 07:12

Forgot to include the bit from the official rules:

Snip20170802_1.png
Snip20170802_1.png (67.66 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
super_dipsy