Does a unit that's attacking hold if it gets attacked?

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Does a unit that's attacking hold if it gets attacked?

Postby Jont828 » 09 Jun 2017, 04:21

So I'm playing Diplomacy on another site as Russia and I'm fighting England. I have a fleet in BAR that supports Norway holding, which succeeds. England has a fleet in NWG that attacks Nwy with support from another English fleet in NTH. I ordered Nwy to NTH as to cut support in case he tried to use it to support his way into Den. So since the move from Nwy to NTH failed, I thought Nwy would have just held, and the support from BAR would have kept it holding, but the adjudication software told me that my fleet in Nwy must retreat now. Is this legal?

So to summarize, Russian F Nwy - NTH, Russian F BAR S Nwy H, English F NWG - Nwy, and English F NTH S NWG - Nwy. What should happen? Thanks!
Jont828

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Does a unit that's attacking hold if it gets attacked?

Postby Zosimus » 09 Jun 2017, 04:24

Your order to support Norway to hold will not correspond, as Norway is moving. So that order will end up being converted into a hold. That's probably not what you wanted. If the fleet in Norway is attacked twice, it will be dislodged.
Be more aggressive.
Zosimus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1696)
All-game rating: (1730)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby JonS » 09 Jun 2017, 05:06

As Zos said, support only works if it corresponds to the orders of the supported unit. In your scenario, Norway was not holding, it was moving. Therefore the support order was invalid and dropped. Even though Norway failed to move, it still tried.

To support a unit to hold, that unit must be ordering either a straight hold or a support order of its own. (I sometimes like to think the full name of a support order to be "hold and support X" for clarity).
“Find an ally who will die for you, and see that he does just that.”
The immortal Richard Sharp

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
House Tyrell in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire
JonS

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1557)
All-game rating: (1606)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Jont828 » 09 Jun 2017, 05:14

Oh, okay I see. I thought that a bounce would cause the unit to hold, and therefore that support would work. Either way, at least I'm in a position where I can retake Nwy next year. :)
Jont828

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions