Support Question

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Support Question

Postby benson.b.research@gmail.c » 04 Jun 2017, 05:57

Can a fleet located in the Mid Atlantic Ocean supoprt a fleet in Belgium moving to the English Channel. I do not want to loose an order. Thank you everyone in advance!
benson.b.research@gmail.c

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (952)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Support Question

Postby WHSeward » 04 Jun 2017, 06:02

Yes it can.

A unit can support action in any province it can move to.

F MAO can move to EC, therefore it can support a different unit moving there too.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Durkeety » 04 Jun 2017, 06:03

Yes, a supporting unit only has to be adjacent to the territory it's supporting into, not from
Durkeety
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1609
All-game rating: 1551
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby benson.b.research@gmail.c » 04 Jun 2017, 06:07

Okay, thank you very much! I was not sure if it had to be adjacent to the unit that it was supporting as well.
benson.b.research@gmail.c

Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (952)

Postby Mr.E » 04 Jun 2017, 11:23

When you get your head around the simplicity of the basic support rules, it's easy. The only thing to remember for this is:

If I can move there, I can support there.

This isn't the same as being in an adjacent space, eg:
- An army in London can't support action in the English Channel - armies drown.
- A fleet in Berlin can't support action in Munich - hovercraft make crap tanks.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Standard rating: (966)
All-game rating: (1134)

Postby Guns of Brixton » 04 Jun 2017, 19:49

And the other important thing to learn is how to use the Orders Solver. You can put any move you like in there and see what would happen because it uses the same engine for determining orders as the games do.
Platinum Classicist
Mentor
Guns of Brixton

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1580)
All-game rating: (1622)

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions