Can destroyed units be rebuilt?

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Can destroyed units be rebuilt?

Postby Jont828 » 21 May 2017, 06:03

If I have a unit that is dislodged but I have no where for it to retreat, the unit is destroyed and removed from the board. However, do I get to rebuild that unit at the end of the fall turn, assuming I haven't gained or lost any supply centers since? If I can't, then I'd have 1 less unit than supply centers for the whole game, and if I can, do I get to choose between an army/fleet and which home territory to build it in? Thanks!
Jont828

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Can destroyed units be rebuilt?

Postby Carebear » 21 May 2017, 06:12

Yes, during the adjustment phase between Fall and Spring, you build or destroy units to equal your supply center count (you can however choose to waive building units should you want to...). In the standard game, you must build new units in home supply centers that are empty. Fleets may only be built in coastal supply centers.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Mr.E » 21 May 2017, 10:03

It probably helps to not think of it as rebuilding the destroyed unit and just thinking of the rules of the Adjustments (Builds) phase. Regardless of what happens in a game year, if you have more SCs than units - and you have home SCs free to build in - then you can build units.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Standard rating: 974
All-game rating: 1142

Postby gareth66 » 21 May 2017, 11:52

It's also something you can do intentionally for tactical reasons. If you need to build in one of your home centres (perhaps in order to defend it, for example) but you know you are not going to get a build then you can contrive with an ally for another unit in a less useful location to get dislodged. Then destroy rather than retreat it and you get your build.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Postby Goldain » 21 May 2017, 16:03

That is one possible solution for the troublsome Russian fleet in Sev issue. It can be moved out of Sev and/or disloged during a spring move, blown up, and rebuilt as a handy-dandy tank unit or northern fleet.
Goldain

Standard rating: (1194)
All-game rating: (1233)

Postby Jont828 » 21 May 2017, 23:30

Thanks, everyone! I'll have to bring this up next time with my Diplomacy group...
Jont828

All-game rating: (1000)

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions