Fleet Support Questions

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Fleet Support Questions

Postby SteveHybrid » 11 May 2017, 20:14

Hey all,

Can a fleet support an army moving on land? I know if the land tile is right next to it they can (Fleet Albania can support army in Serbia moving to Greece) However; these situations I'm not too sure on; here are the examples and how I think it is;

1.) Can a Fleet in Spain n.c. support Army Brest moving into Gascony? (yes?)

2.) Can a Fleet in Ankara support Army Armenia being convoy over Black Sea into Sev? (no because Ank does not touch Rum?)

3.) Can a Fleet in Ankara support Army Armenia being convoy over Black Sea into Constantinople? (yes, because ank is next to con?)

4. ) Can a Fleet in Rumania Support Army Budapest moving into Galicia? (no, because the fleet cant touch Galicia since its on the ocean?)

Thanks ahead for the response.
-Steve
SteveHybrid
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1238
All-game rating: 775
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Fleet Support Questions

Postby Carebear » 11 May 2017, 20:20

Hybrid wrote:Hey all,

Can a fleet support an army moving on land? I know if the land tile is right next to it they can (Fleet Albania can support army in Serbia moving to Greece) However; these situations I'm not too sure on; here are the examples and how I think it is;

1.) Can a Fleet in Spain n.c. support Army Brest moving into Gascony? (yes?)

2.) Can a Fleet in Ankara support Army Armenia being convoy over Black Sea into Sev? (no because Ank does not touch Rum?)

3.) Can a Fleet in Ankara support Army Armenia being convoy over Black Sea into Constantinople? (yes, because ank is next to con?)

4. ) Can a Fleet in Rumania Support Army Budapest moving into Galicia? (no, because the fleet cant touch Galicia since its on the ocean?)

Thanks ahead for the response.

The simple rule for support is if the supporting unit can move into the province to which it is providing support.
1. Yes, 2. No, 3. Yes, 4. No
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby SteveHybrid » 11 May 2017, 20:22

Thanks Carebear. Appreciate your response. I'm still learning a bit but this community has been very helpful. I'm getting the hang of it very fast. Thanks again.
-Steve
SteveHybrid
Premium Member

Postby JonS » 11 May 2017, 20:23

Key point - any unit can provide support within a space they themselves can move into. If I can move into that space, i can support action in that space. If I can't, I can't.

1.) Can a Fleet in Spain n.c. support Army Brest moving into Gascony?

Yes, bc a fleet in Spain NC can move to Gas. (A fleet in Spain SC could NOT provide this support).

No, a fleet in Ank cannot support any action into Sev, because you cannot move from Ank to Sev. But not sure why Armenia would convoy into Sev, as it could just move to Sev? So if you have a fleet in Black Sea, it should support Arm moving to Sev, rather than convoy it.

What fleet Ank CAN do is support fleet BLA to hold, if fleet BLA is busy convoying someone and is at risk of dislodgement.

Yes. A fleet in Ank can support a movement into Con, because it can itself move into Con.

No, because a fleet in Rumania cannot move to Galicia. Therefore it cannot support activity there.

Just always keep in mind - if your unit can move somewhere, it can support activity there. If it can't move there, it can't.
“Find an ally who will die for you, and see that he does just that.”
The immortal Richard Sharp

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
House Tyrell in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire
JonS

Standard rating: (1557)
All-game rating: (1606)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby SteveHybrid » 11 May 2017, 20:25

Thank you JonS.
-Steve
SteveHybrid
Premium Member

Postby JonS » 11 May 2017, 20:25

Dang Carebear beat me to it, and more succinctly as well.

I recommend considering joining a mentored game. Our site hosts mentor games weekly, hosted by experienced players that can provide active coaching on rules, tactics, etc. It's a great means to improve your understanding of the simple and complicated dimensions of the game.

You can learn more here: viewforum.php?f=292
“Find an ally who will die for you, and see that he does just that.”
The immortal Richard Sharp

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
House Tyrell in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire
JonS

Standard rating: (1557)
All-game rating: (1606)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Carebear » 11 May 2017, 20:28

JonS wrote:Dang Carebear beat me to it, and more succinctly as well.

Ah, but only because I am lazy. Your more detailed description may provide a more thorough understanding.

Ninth Order Ninja
Last edited by Carebear on 11 May 2017, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby SteveHybrid » 11 May 2017, 20:31

JonS wrote:Dang Carebear beat me to it, and more succinctly as well.

I recommend considering joining a mentored game. Our site hosts mentor games weekly, hosted by experienced players that can provide active coaching on rules, tactics, etc. It's a great means to improve your understanding of the simple and complicated dimensions of the game.

You can learn more here: viewforum.php?f=292

I'm in a mentor game with drnomeansyes, however we seem to be having problems starting it up. We keep having a player or two not confirm, then we hunt down another person and we have another person not confirm - rinse and repeat.

So what I did was two things; First, I wrote down everything that was confusing for me, after a day of searching the forums I was able to answer 95% of my questions. (this community truly is pretty awesome and there are tons of helpful info around - you just gotta find it). The second thing I did was join a handful of games that had people drop out of, I'm learning by trial and error what I can and can't do. It was a pretty serious crash course into the game however I feel very comfortable with the general basics and am coming across fewer and fewer situations I don't understand.
-Steve
SteveHybrid
Premium Member

Postby Thyrfing » 11 May 2017, 23:05

JonS wrote:

No, a fleet in Ank cannot support any action into Sev, because you cannot move from Ank to Sev. But not sure why Armenia would convoy into Sev, as it could just move to Sev? So if you have a fleet in Black Sea, it should support Arm moving to Sev, rather than convoy it.

I've seen this sort of stuff used to swap units in a permanent stand-off state. I have just seen it used in one of the ongoing tournament games around Italy.. can't remember exactly but was something like: France is in ROM & Turkey in NAP, the position is quite stale, although France has armies stuck behind ROM that can't get into action. France is ordering TYR S ROM-NAP and Turkey APU S NAP-ROM. Then France convoys ROM-NAP, switching the position with Turkey and getting an extra army in play from the north.
Weird to see though :)
And in the disparate clamour of the chaos that surrounds you, it's hard to know which of the voices that you hear are your own.
Thyrfing

Standard rating: (1568)
All-game rating: (1845)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby ColonelApricot » 12 May 2017, 00:02

Hybrid wrote:So what I did was two things; First, I wrote down everything that was confusing for me, after a day of searching the forums I was able to answer 95% of my questions. (this community truly is pretty awesome and there are tons of helpful info around - you just gotta find it). The second thing I did was join a handful of games that had people drop out of, I'm learning by trial and error what I can and can't do. It was a pretty serious crash course into the game however I feel very comfortable with the general basics and am coming across fewer and fewer situations I don't understand.

I recommend using the Orders Solver (the tab next to "Games"). You can import your current game, then try out various scenarios and it will give you the exact outcome that you get from the judge).
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1415
Timezone: GMT

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions