Foul and abusive language in PM's

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Foul and abusive language in PM's

Postby Locutus » 11 May 2017, 17:01

At what point, if any, does this kind of thing cross any lines?
Locutus
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 911
All-game rating: 942
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Foul and abusive language in PM's

Postby Carebear » 11 May 2017, 17:07

IIRC, I think we follow the European standard of hate speech crossing the line. Things like racist, homophobic, and misogynistic statements. But, a mod will come along with the correct answer soon.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Locutus » 11 May 2017, 17:10

So any derogatory and crude speech is allowed otherwise?
Locutus
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 911
All-game rating: 942
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Alman » 11 May 2017, 17:14

I refer you to the rules, found here: viewtopic.php?f=659&t=48796#p817379

But I will quote the relevant section below.
Private communications - Power-to-Power messages and PMs
These will ONLY be considered for action if:
(a) The Moderator feels that the content may be classed as cyber-bullying as recognised by the site (see Dealing with Cyber-bullying).
(b) The Moderator feels the content:
- Is extremely abusive or aggressive and out of context (ie not posted in response to aggressive or abusive messages),
- Is defamatory and of a serious nature, and
- Can be considered to be illegal.
NB: Any decision on action will be based on the opinion of the moderator. Messages will not be acted upon because they cause offence alone.
(c) The content includes information that might be considered as evidence of cheating, when it will be investigated if appropriate. This should ideally be reported in the Cheater's Forum.

Private communications which DON'T match these criteria should therefore be dealt with privately. The member who received the message may deal with it in any way s/he feels is appropriate, within site rules.

Should members feel it is appropriate to report this, they can contact the SITE HELP! or Cheater-hunters groups via PM.

If you feel, based on this, that you have something to report, send me a private PM and I'll take a look.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions