Fog sight lines

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Fog sight lines

Postby super_dipsy » 09 Apr 2017, 10:25

Hi all you FoW players!

Since I never play FoW, I needed to check something and it is easier to ask you lot!

Three questions:

1. When a unit moves into a SC of yours in the Spring, and you do not have a unit adjacent to that SC, what do you see? Does it just stay your colour because you still own it but you don't see the unit? Or do you see the enemy unit?
2. My understanding is that an SC (where you have no adjacent units) you own stays your colour AND visible until it is taken from you at which point it goes back to fogged out. Yes?
3. What happens about a non-SC territory you 'own' (ie it is your colour) but you no longer have any units adjacent? Does it stay your colour? Or is it fogged out?

Thanks
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Re: Fog sight lines

Postby IDontPlayThisGame » 09 Apr 2017, 11:41

Haven't played FoW in ages, but I think I can answer these questions - may not be 100% correct, though.

I'm fairly sure the rule here is: Each SC you own sees its own space (but not adjacent ones).

So...
1. Yes. You can see a unit that has moved into your SC with no adjacent units in Spring - and who owns it.
2. Yes. An SC you own and have no adjacent units too is visible to you and is your colour until taken.
Side Note: I can't remember if you can see who owns the unit that moves into your SC if it is taken in Fall... hmm.
3. An SC you own but have no adjacent units stays your colour and is not fogged out.

I hope this helps!

IDPTG
I am IDPTG, and IDPTG means me.

Diplomacy wounds run deep, and take forever to heal.
IDontPlayThisGame

Standard rating: (965)
All-game rating: (1086)

Postby ColonelApricot » 09 Apr 2017, 12:51

Being a FOW tragic just let me add a couple of minor corrections, and a rewrite, to that.

1. Correct.
2. Correct. Re side note: an SC you own will show together with the unit that occupies it in Fall, including retreat, but will no longer be visible in the adjustments phase if the unit is not yours.
3. The question re non-SC territory wasn't answered so here it is: a non-SC territory remains the color it was at game-start until it is occupied, from then it adopts the color of the unit that last occupied it whether that was in spring or fall.

A better way to understand the rules is as follows:

1. Sea provinces never change color, they are always blue*.
2. All provinces adjacent to or occupied by a unit are visible (not fogged) to the country of that unit.
3. All provinces that have the underlying color of a country are visible to the country, regardless of the color of an occupying unit. Underlying means the color that would normally be visible if not FOW.
4. All other provinces are fogged.

The rules for the underlying color of a province are the same as in all variants.

* There is an inconsistency in that non-adjacent sea provinces are not fogged. This can be somewhat confusing.

You should give FOW a try, it adds a new dimension to the game!

..CA
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1400

Postby super_dipsy » 09 Apr 2017, 14:12

Thanks guys!
super_dipsy
Premium Member

All-game rating: 931

Postby uzes90 » 09 Apr 2017, 15:49

My understanding of this statement is a bit different:
3. All provinces that have the underlying color of a country are visible to the country, regardless of the color of an occupying unit. Underlying means the color that would normally be visible if not FOW.

I believe that the "underlying color" of a non-SC territory will go back to fog if someone else enteres it - either spring or fall. Thus if I once occupied a non-SC territory and someone else enters that territory in the spring it will go back to fog starting in the retreat phase of the spring. I don't get to see who entered the territory. This is different from how an SC territory is handled where you get to see who entered it.

Of course my oldie brain may be a bit confused about this so confirmation would be greatly appreciated. :?
uzes90
Premium Member

Location: ...appears here and there - now and then - to this one and that one...
All-game rating: 1789
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby ColonelApricot » 10 Apr 2017, 01:49

uzes90 wrote:I believe that the "underlying color" of a non-SC territory will go back to fog if someone else enteres it - either spring or fall. Thus if I once occupied a non-SC territory and someone else enters that territory in the spring it will go back to fog starting in the retreat phase of the spring. I don't get to see who entered the territory. This is different from how an SC territory is handled where you get to see who entered it.

Of course my oldie brain may be a bit confused about this so confirmation would be greatly appreciated. :?

Same. The underlying color of a non-SC changes immediately upon being occupied by a different color unit so the original owner does not get to see who occupied i.e. goes back to fog.

PET-PEEVE. I hate that in FOW when a unit is dislodged and there's only one retreat across the board, if the retreat is ordered immediately then unless you are watching in real time (maybe not even then) you don't know whether it was a dislodgement or just an ordinary move. IMO the dislodging player should be allowed to know what happened, ideally by seeing in the order history what they would have seen in real time.
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1400

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions