Help - Kicked out of the late stages of a game

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Help - Kicked out of the late stages of a game

Postby USS Sammy B » 18 Mar 2017, 21:56

I bumped into something I've never seen. I had one unit remaining in the late stages of a game (obviously I wasn't doing so well!), and there wasn't anything I could do so I didn't enter an order. I thought the game would apply the usual default 'hold', but instead it applied an 'auto-surrender', kicked me off the game, and even removed me from the player's list. The unit should have survived another move or two, and no, I haven't done anything against the rules of the Diplomacy site.

Any thoughts? Was this expected?

Thanks!
USS Sammy B

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (976)
All-game rating: (981)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Help - Kicked out of the late stages of a game

Postby Zosimus » 18 Mar 2017, 22:04

Next time be certain to click "finalize" and that will prevent you from getting kicked out.
Be more aggressive.
Zosimus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1696
All-game rating: 1730
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby WHSeward » 18 Mar 2017, 22:17

You were auto-surrendered for NMRing two consecutive orders. See the definition in the Glossary on site.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Fatmo » 18 Mar 2017, 22:18

Or if you don't want to finalize just actually enter the "hold" order. If you don't enter any orders or finalize holds, the system assumes you went AWOL.

Sorry that happened to you. I'm sure that's a bit of a bummer.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby USS Sammy B » 26 Mar 2017, 00:35

Yep, you guys are exactly right. I didn't realize that I hadn't finalized two sets of orders. Lessons learned! Thanks so much.
USS Sammy B

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (976)
All-game rating: (981)

Postby gareth66 » 26 Mar 2017, 00:46

USS Sammy B wrote:Yep, you guys are exactly right. I didn't realize that I hadn't finalized two sets of orders. Lessons learned! Thanks so much.

No, not quite. Not finalising is fine. The issue was that you hadn't entered 2 sets of orders. (But finalising without entering would have counted as entering).
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions