Intercept an army

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Intercept an army

Postby Alcibiades33 » 15 Mar 2017, 22:29

Can an army move on a territory that another army is occupying to prevent that one to move to another place. Concretely:
I have no army in Berlin
I have two in Bohemia and Munich
Russian has an army in Silesia that I think is going for Berlin
I want to move to Silesia from Bohemia with the support of Munich to prevent Russia's move on Berlin.
Alcibiades33

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (917)
All-game rating: (921)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Intercept an army

Postby WHSeward » 15 Mar 2017, 22:46

No, that will not work.

Attacking the province a unit is in, does nothing to stop it from moving to a different province. All moves happen simultaneously, so on the case you are describing, the unit in Sil would advance to Ber, and your unit in Boh would advance to Sil.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Intercept an army

Postby Cardlinger » 16 Mar 2017, 02:34

Following on from WHSeward and not commenting on any game in particular, the best hope would be to order:

A Mun-Ber
A Boh-Mun

That way if Russia orders A Sil-Ber it will bounce with Mun-Ber, and Boh-Mun bounces when Munich can't move to Berlin, so all the pieces stay as they are. It happens frequently where one bounce causes a succession of bounces, and no-one ends up going anywhere!

But WHSeward has the measure: moves happen simultaneously so you're not breaking an attack or support on Sil, you need to cover the place it's heading. Good players will know this and try to wrongfoot you. Good luck!

Best,
Cardlinger
Cardlinger

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1093)
All-game rating: (1106)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions