Surrendered players and draws.

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Surrendered players and draws.

Postby asjohnstone » 28 Feb 2017, 05:28

Hypothetically, what happens in a draw vote when there is a surrendered power? Are they assumed to oppose or support the draw? Below is made up example.

Scenario surrendered Germany on board with single unit in Munich, France and England holding line against a 17 SC Russia, they do this by supporting the lone Germany. Unit to hold.

What would happen if a draw was voted through by Russia, France and England? Does it pass?
asjohnstone

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1252)
All-game rating: (1261)
Timezone: GMT+12

Re: Surrendered players and draws.

Postby numberwang1 » 28 Feb 2017, 05:49

The vote happens as if the surrendered power does not exist. If all living active players support it, the vote succeeds.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
numberwang1

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1329)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby WHSeward » 28 Feb 2017, 05:51

Surrendered powers don't get to vote. draw passes.

Ninja'd by NW1
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby gareth66 » 28 Feb 2017, 16:33

If the draw proposal was already in place, and voted through by everybody but Germany, and then Germany surrenders whilst the draw is active, that's a slightly different situation I believe (?).
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 28 Feb 2017, 17:02

@ Gareth: if memory serves, it depends on the timing of the surrender and the draw. Let's say the draw is proposed in Spring 1905 and expires in Fall 1905, as an example, and Germany is the lone person to not accept it. If Germany surrenders during Fall 1905 (as in, before the deadline), the the draw is processed and everyone goes home. If Germany NMRs and is auto-surrendered in Fall 1905, then the draw expires without being accepted, because that is checked first. So the draw is considered as expiring before the orders are processed.

I am pretty sure that's the way it works, but not 100% positive.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby gareth66 » 28 Feb 2017, 17:12

I thought a recent change was that when somebody surrenders there is now always a period of time that elapses before anything processes (to give more opportunity for a new player to pick up the position). I thought that the current phase is now always extended to the full length of time to the deadline before anything processes if a player surrenders during it. Am I misunderstanding this?
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 28 Feb 2017, 17:27

That is the function, but only in protected games, which has to be selected at the creation stage (same as secret ballot draws, for example). If it's a standard game, the phase doesn't reset on a surrender.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389

Postby Hastati » 06 Mar 2017, 02:43

To further clarify, for the purposes of scoring, does the surrendered power also count as dead?
Hastati

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 960
All-game rating: 961

Postby WHSeward » 06 Mar 2017, 02:50

Yes. Players that surrender get a full loss. Surrendered powers are never included in a draw.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions