Simple Noob Question about Game

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Simple Noob Question about Game

Postby questionaccount23 » 18 Feb 2017, 22:53

Hi all. Can anyone explain to me how the game ends? Specifically, is there something like a final turn after which everyone who still has a unit draws?
questionaccount23

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Simple Noob Question about Game

Postby ClavinTheGreat » 18 Feb 2017, 22:56

To end a game a player must have a majority of the supply centers. 18 on a normal map, or a draw is agreed to by all surviving players.
ClavinTheGreat

Standard rating: (913)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby questionaccount23 » 18 Feb 2017, 22:59

Thank you, Calvin. So, theoretically, a standard game of diplomacy could go until, say, Spring 1944?
questionaccount23

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby gareth66 » 18 Feb 2017, 23:38

There is no defined length of game. A game can go on for an indefinite number of turns until conditions arise to end it. A game only ends when either somebody wins (by controllling 18 SCs) or everybody left in the game agrees a draw of some sort.
gareth66

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Postby edmgrim » 19 Feb 2017, 03:30

For those who are interested, the longest documented Diplomacy game on record went until SPRING 2005.

Here are a couple links:

The Game

Reddit Discussion

Another discussion
edmgrim

Standard rating: (1077)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Alcibiades33 » 09 Mar 2017, 00:57

Hi, how do you build stuff? After the first has ended and some centers are free how do you build units in those centers? Thanks
Alcibiades33

Standard rating: (917)
All-game rating: (921)

Postby Carebear » 09 Mar 2017, 01:07

Alcibiades33 wrote:Hi, how do you build stuff? After the first has ended and some centers are free how do you build units in those centers? Thanks

After Fall Order/Retreat, there is a build phase before Spring. Normally, you may only build on your home supply centers (the ones you started the game with). There are some variants that allow you to build elsewhere. Click on a home center and the build window will popup. This presupposes you own more supply centers than you have units on the board.

To gain a new supply center, you must possess it at the end of the Fall Retreat. Once owned, you need not occupy it to retain ownership.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Alcibiades33 » 09 Mar 2017, 01:49

Carebear wrote:
Alcibiades33 wrote:Hi, how do you build stuff? After the first has ended and some centers are free how do you build units in those centers? Thanks

After Fall Order/Retreat, there is a build phase before Spring. Normally, you may only build on your home supply centers (the ones you started the game with). There are some variants that allow you to build elsewhere. Click on a home center and the build window will popup. This presupposes you own more supply centers than you have units on the board.

To gain a new supply center, you must possess it at the end of the Fall Retreat. Once owned, you need not occupy it to retain ownership.

Thanks
Alcibiades33

Standard rating: (917)
All-game rating: (921)

Postby DSR » 26 Mar 2017, 14:38

How can you tell if you are in a game where you are allowed to build on an open non-home supply center?

I am entitled to build 3, but have only have two open home supply centers. The "orders" say I can still build one more, but I assume that is just a default instruction?
DSR

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (958)
All-game rating: (944)

Postby super_dipsy » 26 Mar 2017, 16:18

DSR wrote:How can you tell if you are in a game where you are allowed to build on an open non-home supply center?

I am entitled to build 3, but have only have two open home supply centers. The "orders" say I can still build one more, but I assume that is just a default instruction?

Yes, it is just the total that you could be allwed, but if it is not build anywhere, you can never build the third.

You can tell if it is a Build Anywhere game or not by looking at the game dexcription in your My Games list. Where it says Game Tpe:.

If it says Regular, Fleet Rome or Winter 1900 it is N OT build anywhere - you have to build on your own national centres.
If it says Chaos, Age of Empires or Build Anywhere, it is a Build Anywhere game and you can build on any free SC that you own.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931

Next

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions