Can you tell if a player NMRs

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Can you tell if a player NMRs

Postby Fritage » 05 Feb 2017, 01:23

Hi all. Is there any indication provided by the "system" after a phase completes to tell if a player has NOT entered their move?

As an example, I understand that, in the retreat phase if a player does not enter their move, the dislodged unit is destroyed (by the move adjudicator). Is there any way to know if the player "did not move" versus "did move but intentionally disbanded" the unit?

Thanks. Fritage.

PS Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere I did a search and could not locate the answer I was seeking. Plus I'm in a game where this has taken place and a timely answer would help.
Fritage

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1070)
All-game rating: (1073)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Can you tell if a player NMRs

Postby V » 05 Feb 2017, 01:39

In a "protected" game obviously yes, the game deadline would be extended if it was an NMR. In a normal game no, unless you count in hindsight that 2 consecutive NMR's equals a surrender.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754

Postby Fritage » 05 Feb 2017, 01:56

Hi Senlac. Darn it that is unfortunate as it kind of ruins a good game into which a number of people have invested a fair amount of time.

What generally happens when someone misses a turn?

Is there a way to "turn back the clock" if all players agree?

People have busy lives and "stuff" happens preventing them from moving. It seems a shame when a player who had every intention of moving was unable to due to circumstances beyond their control.

Thanks for your reply.

Fritage.
Fritage

Postby BlueBorjigin » 05 Feb 2017, 02:17

You're never able to tell whether Retreat or Build phases were NMR'd, and the site never penalizes you for missing those phases either. The site only counts Orders-phase NMRs.
BlueBorjigin

Standard rating: (1160)
All-game rating: (1177)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Fritage » 05 Feb 2017, 02:52

Thanks for everyone's post.

In rereading my post I want to add, that I completely understand the rational behind why the system is designed like it is, as you could have people missing their turn intentionally and using that as an unreasonable tactic if the game was designed another way.

Fritage.
Fritage

Postby super_dipsy » 05 Feb 2017, 09:08

Just wanted to fill out a bit on Senlac's response.

He mentioned the Protected option for games. If you are playing with people who are generally reliable, this is the perfect way to asnwer your need. What happens in a Protected game is that if someone misses the deadline, the deadline is simply extended to give them a chance to get their orders in. However, if they do this twice they will be kicked from the game. Also, if someone surrenders the deadline extends to give maximum chance of getting a replacement without doing any more damage to the game.

I would add a word of caution. If you are playing in a game with players who are by nature not very reliable, this can drive you up the wall with constant deadline extensions. But as I say, in a game of reliable players it offers protection against real life disruption or more likely a slip of the mind!
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby Strategus » 05 Feb 2017, 11:46

Fritage wrote:Thanks for everyone's post.

In rereading my post I want to add, that I completely understand the rational behind why the system is designed like it is, as you could have people missing their turn intentionally and using that as an unreasonable tactic if the game was designed another way.

Fritage.

On occasion, I have suspected players of entering "Hold" orders for all of their units (thus not an NMR, but appearing so), in order to "see what happens". This can be a perfectly reasonable tactic to determine who your friends are, or even to lure opponents into rushing in to take advantage, and then leave themselves open to a stab ;)
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1708

Postby Guns of Brixton » 17 Mar 2017, 13:46

Fritage wrote:Hi Senlac. Darn it that is unfortunate as it kind of ruins a good game into which a number of people have invested a fair amount of time.

What generally happens when someone misses a turn?

Is there a way to "turn back the clock" if all players agree?

People have busy lives and "stuff" happens preventing them from moving. It seems a shame when a player who had every intention of moving was unable to due to circumstances beyond their control.

Thanks for your reply.

Fritage.

I wouldn't try this in anything but a 'Friends' game as it would be too easily taken advantage of, but if you do want to 'turn back the clock' you could just have everyone use the next couple of turns to orchestrate moves to restore things to the way they were before the NMR. Unless a player is eliminated during the NMR turn you can get back to the same game situation and set up to restart at the same season of the next year.

The problem with this that can't be avoided is that people will have seen what everyone (except for the one that NMR'd) was going to do. That may be problematic or it may not ('sure, I was going to stab you last turn but I realise now that was stupid and now I swear we're allies forever!') but if everyone agrees what the missing moves 'would have been' then that situation might be replicated.
Platinum Classicist
Mentor
Guns of Brixton

Standard rating: (1580)
All-game rating: (1622)

Postby Mr.E » 18 Mar 2017, 10:05

There have been times in f2f games, including tournaments, where players have NMRed for some reason or another (and not just because he's gone off in a sulk). The guy who had the sh!ts and missed a deadline because something else was slightly more pressing :| Which led to the conspiracy theorists (among otherwise intelligent people there are a surprising number of these in the hobby) suspecting a little something added to his fish and chips :twisted:

In some ways, protecting games is perhaps a little OTT. Someone NMRs? Their power is in CD - if only for a turn. Deal with it.

On the other hand, the published rules suggest:
It is probably best ... to allow someone else to replace any player who leaves the game.
1999 Edition, p18

More practically, as far as this site is concerned (possibly not with small sites) is to give every opportunity to people to join the game and replace those who need to leave the game and those who simply quit.

And, honestly, nobody is going to get "caught short" in an internet game ;)

As for ordering all hold, the false-NMR, that isn't possible in a f2f game! However, in some circumstances, I can see it being a useful tactic on the net although I agree with Guns of Brixton that you definitely have to pick your moment.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Standard rating: 966
All-game rating: 1134

Postby Carebear » 18 Mar 2017, 15:00

Nibbler wrote:As for ordering all hold, the false-NMR, that isn't possible in a f2f game! However, in some circumstances, I can see it being a useful tactic on the net although I agree with Guns of Brixton that you definitely have to pick your moment.

Why do you think it isn't possible in ftf? Was in a game where a player wrote down his units, talked, tossed his orders in the box, and then acted shocked when orders were read and his units had no orders. He was a very experienced player. Unless, you would categorize that situation differently maybe?
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Next

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions