Variant Versailles: liberation status in build anywhere.

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Variant Versailles: liberation status in build anywhere.

Postby Silver Wings » 31 Jan 2017, 01:14

In the Versailles variant, a home SC belongs to a specific country and thus can be liberated from the partner State, with its specific rules.
When Versailles has Chaos + build anywhere options, does the Liberation Rule applies to the random Home Sc given in the first year?
Per example IF my minor Power is Sweden and was attributed Spain as the first SC, can my major power liberate Spain from an enemy who would have taken it?
Silver Wings

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (988)
All-game rating: (1285)
Timezone: GMT+7

Re: Variant Versailles: liberation status in build anywhere.

Postby ColonelApricot » 31 Jan 2017, 05:04

Silver Wings wrote:When Versailles has Chaos + build anywhere options, does the Liberation Rule applies to the random Home Sc given in the first year?

Yes
Silver Wings wrote:Per example IF my minor Power is Sweden and was attributed Spain as the first SC, can my major power liberate Spain from an enemy who would have taken it?

Spain is not a province so if you mean Madrid then when Madrid is recaptured by the major partner of Sweden then Madrid will revert to ownership of Sweden if/ when it is Fall.
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1415
Timezone: GMT

Postby Silver Wings » 01 Feb 2017, 03:09

so the liberation rules apply to the first sc given randomly, right? :-)
Silver Wings

Standard rating: (988)
All-game rating: (1285)
Timezone: GMT+7

Postby ColonelApricot » 01 Feb 2017, 07:26

Actually to clarify one point the "Build anywhere" attribute applies also to AoE and Chaos.

Based on actual game play I have observed that the Liberation Rule as you call it is implemented as follows :
Centers that are present in the Spring phase following the initial Winter phase are home centers that obey the Liberation Rule.

So in standard, build anywhere, and chaos there will be 4 home centers and in AoE there are 2 (1 major and one minor).

I expect that would be valid also for Escalation when that is eventually enabled for Versailles.
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1415

Postby super_dipsy » 01 Feb 2017, 08:20

Thanks for answering ColonelApricot. I've been a bit distracted by new site testing stuff :)

Just for confirmation, the Versailles rules are here http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=566&t=41927. I strongly recommend that if the OP wants to play Versailles, you need to study them pretty carefully, there are a lot of tricky bits in Versailles :)

The section in particular related to this thread is here

Versailles rules wrote:National supply centres
This exception case overrides the previous statement about one power capturing SCs from its partner. If one power conquers one of its partner's national SCs (assessed at the end of the Fall move as usual), it does NOT take ownership of it. In variant versions, 'national SC' is taken to mean the starting positions(s) of a country's units. There are two situations here depending on who owns the partner national centre at the time. If the SC is owned at the time by the partner power, then nothing happens; the SC remains under the partner's ownership and does not change hands. if instead the SC is currently owned by an enemy power, ownership is transferred (or perhaps more appropriately, returned) to the partner power. So for example Sweden's national centre is Stockholm. If Sweden is partnered with Britain, currently owns Stockholm and Britain has a unit in Stockholm at the end of the Fall move, Stockholm remains in all senses a Swedish centre and does not count towards the British centre count. If instead Stockholm were in German hands but was conquered by the British, at the end of the Fall move ownership of the centre would transfer not to Britain but to Sweden, adding to the Swedish centre count. Note that this rule applies whether it is a Major conquering its associated minor national centre or vice versa. Also note that conquering one of your partner national centres will immediately expose the identity of your major / minor pair since as soon as the SC does not change hands it will be obvious to all, so be careful
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions