Non-submitted retreats/builds

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Non-submitted retreats/builds

Postby Shyvve » 05 Jan 2017, 11:50

Hi, being still unfamiliar with certain parts of the interface, I have a question.

If a player wishes to not retreat a unit which does have a valid retreat province, is there an option on the interface to choose 'disband' or similar? If not, will the decision to not enter a retreat order mean that the retreat phase must run its allotted time before the game resumes, thus delaying the game? Or is there some way to move things along quicker?
Similarly, is there an option to 'decline build' in the interface?

I'm sure this has been answered before and I did search a bit, but it's very late for me and I'm lazy.

Thanks in advance !
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1382
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Non-submitted retreats/builds

Postby V » 05 Jan 2017, 12:03

Yes, destroy can be selected instead of entering a valid retreat destination (& finalised if desired).
Yes, build orders could also be finalised without entering all possible builds.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Alman » 05 Jan 2017, 16:55

Senlac nailed it. You can choose "destroy" to eliminate a unit rather than retreat it. You can hit "finalize" in any phase and avoid the system treating you as a NMR even if you enter no orders.

In the case of a retreat, the unit left un-retreated is destroyed.
Builds are just foregone.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Shyvve » 05 Jan 2017, 21:42

ok, got it. Thank you both Senlac and Alman.
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1382
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 06 Jan 2017, 14:01

It's also worth noting that you won't get the option to retreat if you don't have a valid one, it will be destroyed for you by the judge. So if you're given the option to retreat, there's somewhere legal for you to go :)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions