If we all finalize orders, will the Phase End sooner?

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

If we all finalize orders, will the Phase End sooner?

Postby AmbassadoraTheExplora » 05 Jan 2017, 00:22

Hello,

First time setting up a game. We set it to do once a week, but since the game started today it says the first phase ends two weeks from now! Any way to fix this? If we all finalize orders will the phase end ahead of schedule?

Thanks!
Colleen :D
AmbassadoraTheExplora

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1078)
All-game rating: (1079)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: If we all finalize orders, will the Phase End sooner?

Postby V » 05 Jan 2017, 00:35

Yes, when all participants finalise the game proceeds. The first deadline is double to facilitate extra negotiation, so subsequent ones will be only 1 week.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby AmbassadoraTheExplora » 05 Jan 2017, 00:59

Thank you!
AmbassadoraTheExplora

Standard rating: (1078)
All-game rating: (1079)

Postby DirtyHarry » 15 Feb 2017, 04:58

I'm in my first game and had a couple of different questions related to finalizing orders. What if I have issued orders, but don't finalize them? And if I do finalize them, can I still change them?
DirtyHarry
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1356
All-game rating: 1373

Postby gareth66 » 15 Feb 2017, 06:41

mwalsh9 wrote:I'm in my first game and had a couple of different questions related to finalizing orders. What if I have issued orders, but don't finalize them? And if I do finalize them, can I still change them?

If you have not finalised then the game will wait until the deadline for the phase before processing. When it gets to the end of the deadline, the orders you have entered will be processed.

If you have finalised and want to change your orders, that's fine, you can just change them. The instant you change an order you automatically unfinalise but can then finalise again if you want to. The caveat with changing your orders after finalising is always to check before you do that the timer has not gone to 0. If the timer has gone to 0 it means everyone else has also finalised (or the deadline has been reached) and the game is about to go into processing of orders. Changing your orders when the timer has hit 0 is therefore very risky because the game might start processing with your orders only half changed. But if the timer has not gone to 0 then changing orders is no problem.

Finally, it is always worth repeating Dipsy's often-offered advice that, if you change your orders, it is always worth refreshing them and then looking at what orders are registered in the system to check that they are what you intend.
gareth66

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions